How to catch the meat drippings without them just burning up?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pandemonium

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
Florida
When I did my first briskett a few weeks ago i put a foil pan underneath my meat and put onions and beef broth in the pan and even a little water and it just kept evaporating and just drying up, so what am I doing wrong? its in my uds btw and the pan was hanging right below the meat, maybe I should smoke it in the pan?

Last edited:
What temp are you cooking at and how big was the brisket? If you are doing a 10-12 hour cook you are going to need a fair amount of liquid in the pan. Do you have a water pan in your smoker? All of these will affect the juices  

Put a water pan on the lower rack. Your drippins pan was just taking to much direct heat and boiling off all your liquids. When I do them in the WSM I have my water pan, then my drip catching pan and then briskey. I usually just pour a beer into my drip pan at the start then another when I tansfer my brisket into my drip pan and foil it. (I use those disposable turkey pans)

i guess a uds isnt good for that then cause i dont have a water pan or two shelfs in my first uds, so I just hung the pan under the rack with wire but i am thinking that a heavy pan, not the tin foil ones would be better maybe.

Ill be posting soon about a couple of shoulders i did, but when i put a pan under each one im not sure what i was seeing was true. but. it seems to screw with the heat inside the chamber. meaning i couldnt get it up to temp. i took one out and i was fine. or was i just tired and thought i was having problems?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky