1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

How to catch the meat drippings without them just burning up?

Discussion in 'Beef' started by pandemonium, Aug 11, 2010.

1. pandemonium

pandemonium Master of the Pit

When I did my first briskett a few weeks ago i put a foil pan underneath my meat and put onions and beef broth in the pan and even a little water and it just kept evaporating and just drying up, so what am I doing wrong? its in my uds btw and the pan was hanging right below the meat, maybe I should smoke it in the pan?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  2. scarbelly

scarbelly Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member

What temp are you cooking at and how big was the brisket? If you are doing a 10-12 hour cook you are going to need a fair amount of liquid in the pan. Do you have a water pan in your smoker? All of these will affect the juices  

3. pandemonium

no water pan and it was a nine lber that cooked for 14 hrs

4. jirodriguez

jirodriguez Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Put a water pan on the lower rack. Your drippins pan was just taking to much direct heat and boiling off all your liquids. When I do them in the WSM I have my water pan, then my drip catching pan and then briskey. I usually just pour a beer into my drip pan at the start then another when I tansfer my brisket into my drip pan and foil it. (I use those disposable turkey pans)

5. pandemonium

i guess a uds isnt good for that then cause i dont have a water pan or two shelfs in my first uds, so I just hung the pan under the rack with wire but i am thinking that a heavy pan, not the tin foil ones would be better maybe.

6. Ill be posting soon about a couple of shoulders i did, but when i put a pan under each one im not sure what i was seeing was true. but. it seems to screw with the heat inside the chamber. meaning i couldnt get it up to temp. i took one out and i was fine. or was i just tired and thought i was having problems?

7. pandemonium

I guess theres a science to putting a pan in lol