How Not To Spend Your Anniversary

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GaryHibbert

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Last weekend was our 12th anniversary--hard to believe the girl has put up with me for that long!!

We decided to spend some time getting Miss Linda's front flower garden in order--that idea really thrilled me.  However...... 
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
For 3 years running she had planted 100 bulbs (crocuses, tulips, and lilies of every kind she could find) and they had never been separated in the last 7 years..  We spent a couple of weeks digging up all the bulbs and separating them--I couldn't believe how many bulbs the original 300 had become.  This clump started life as a single bulb.

Last Sunday turned out to be fairly nice--at least the 3 days of rain had stopped, leaving her 18 foot diameter flower garden a mass of mud.  We just broadcast the bulbs onto the garden, thoroughly mixing them up in a very random pattern.

A quick estimate, using 1 sq ft plots worked out to between 1500 and 2000 bulbs.

OK.  Broadcasting the bulbs was the easy part.  Now we had to plant each one individually--in the MUD.  What a joy that was.

As you can see, there was just no way to be dainty about it--down and dirty was the order of the day.  You might be wondering why only Miss Linda is out there grubbing in the mud.  Well, somebody had to take the picture!!  
biggrin.gif

It took 3 hours of planting, but we finally got the job done.  I told Miss Linda that if anyone ever again suggested that the bulbs should be separated , she better tell them to have at it, cause once in a lifetime is more than enough for me!!  However.....now we'll have flowers blooming from first melt in the spring until late fall.

I should mention just how good an idea it was to plant the bulbs last weekend.  This is what the flower garden looks like this morning.

Gary

Reactions: disco
What an exciting time! Well cograts on the 12 years at least!:biggrin:

Gary happy Anniversary to both of you That garden should look great in the spring. Please keep the white stuff up that way.

Richie

Gary happy Anniversary to both of you That garden should look great in the spring. Please keep the white stuff up that way.
Richie

Thanks Richie. Ive got mixed feelings about the white stuff. I hate snow, but I start haulings logs Nov 1 so cold and a good snow base will be a good thing.

Gary

Richie
Thanks Richie. Ive got mixed feelings about the white stuff. I hate snow, but I start haulings logs Nov 1 so cold and a good snow base will be a good thing.

Gary
Be safe driving

Richie

Congrats to you both Gary ! Thumbs Up I know deep down you enjoyed doing them bulbs... :biggrin:

I'm not a gardener Gary, but I can appreciate longevity and love in a marriage!  Congrats to you and Linda on your anniversary!  May you have many more in multiples of 12!

Thanks. But the multiples of 12 is questionable at best. It would only take a couple of those to put me over the 100 mark. LOL

Gary

Funny, but every time I ask for help with the garden or yard I hear "That's your job!" But I love her anyway..
Happy anniversary and may you have many more!
Dan

Happy anniversary!!
When the Mrs said she wanted to get you into the bed you probably didn't know she was talking the flower bed. :biggrin:
Congratulations!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky