How not to care for a smoker ( trashed rental unit )

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

top shot bbq

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 31, 2013
Murfreesboro Tennessee
Well we had to go pick up one of our rental units, it was on site for 4 weeks at a local restaurant. Needless to say I was pretty shocked at what I saw. It's apparent it was not cared for or cleaned for its time out. The amount of creosote in this thing is ridiculous from burning almost all green wood. It will take one of our guys all day just to clean this thing. I'm still stewing over this. It will be a complete repaint and a replacement Tel-Tru, they managed to ruin that to by bending the stem some how. It was sent out in clean almost new condition with a couple of cooks we did at the shop.

Well just what in the world was being cooked on it!?!!? that's insane. How do You know they were using green wood? If you rent them out, what's the policy when returning a unit after use? I mean it is a smoker after all...be a little different if it was idk lets say a tv. Lol. Guy rents a tv and brings it back busted, yeh that's a problem. Guy rents a smoker and cooks on it for 4 weeks....kinda what you expect it to look like. Right?..??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

downright wrong. hope there's something in a contract to hold em repsonsible.

if there's a way to know, i'd like to know what joint it was so I avoid it at all costs. I come through nashville pretty regularly.

Brisket mostly I believe, I understand it being used but not even cleaning the grates? We have NEVER had a smoker look like this after a long rent out. We had to pick it up to get it back. It was one of those " ohhh yea we need it one more week, and then 3 more days ... ohhh ummm 5 more days." 

It's just a lack of respect for other peoples property. 

Wait I am sure you have a rental agreement that covers excessive damage beyond normal wear and tear that is determined by your trained staff.... right?

Would ya burn it or steam it to clean it? Good to learn the professional tricks of the trade.

Last edited:
Well just what in the world was being cooked on it!?!!? that's insane. How do You know they were using green wood? If you rent them out, what's the policy when returning a unit after use? I mean it is a smoker after all...be a little different if it was idk lets say a tv. Lol. Guy rents a tv and brings it back busted, yeh that's a problem. Guy rents a smoker and cooks on it for 4 weeks....kinda what you expect it to look like. Right?..??

He told us that's what he was using for his wood,... policy is return in clean condition, but like i said above we had to go get it to even get it back. I know its part of being in the rental game guess I take it a little harder sense I'm the one who builds them. 

Wait I am sure you have a rental agreement that covers excessive damage beyond normal wear and tear that is determined by your trained staff.... right?

Would ya burn it or steam it to clean it? Good to learn the professional tricks of the trade.
Yea all the rental agreement stuff is covered, I guess it's just the principle of it. We have a heated hot water Pressure washer but we will have to repaint it for sure, looks like at some point it got hot enough to to burn paint off the CC or they had a fire in it. 

downright wrong. hope there's something in a contract to hold em repsonsible.

if there's a way to know, i'd like to know what joint it was so I avoid it at all costs. I come through nashville pretty regularly.
At this time I will with hold the name of the joint just in case this turns in to a legal thing. Its not in Nashville though, down in the boro

He told us that's what he was using for his wood,... policy is return in clean condition, but like i said above we had to go get it to even get it back. I know its part of being in the rental game guess I take it a little harder sense I'm the one who builds them. 

I hear ya..was just sayin is all. you know how some ppl are when it comes to rentals. Hell have you seen ppl who rent cars that take them and beat the #%**% out of em?.. kinda what I was thinkin when I saw this post. Like was said before, I hope there's sumthin in ur contract there that will hold them responsible for that. I'd personally have left it and told them they just bought it. Here's your receipt..do you want to pay cash or credit? Lol.

I hear ya..was just sayin is all. you know how some ppl are when it comes to rentals. Hell have you seen ppl who rent cars that take them and beat the #%**% out of em?.. kinda what I was thinkin when I saw this post. Like was said before, I hope there's sumthin in ur contract there that will hold them responsible for that. I'd personally have left it and told them they just bought it. Here's your receipt..do you want to pay cash or credit? Lol.

Yea we are covered with all the contracts and such..... sucks to be the low man on the totem pole this week.. lol. If it didn't have to go out this weekend for a rental, that was on my mind... 

No one will ever take care of a rental smoker like You or I would your own. Just thought this one was a little over board...lol

No one will ever take care of a rental smoker like You or I would your own. Just thought this one was a little over board...lol
I am so glad you can't see what mine looks like. I won't tell there is a reason for asking about cleaning........ LOL

Seriously, Pop woulda hurt me as a kid had I returned his looking like that.

First time I rented a Pig Roaster there was a $50 deposit I would get back if I returned it in the same condition as I picked it up. I returned it in BETTER condition! I got the $50 back and the owner was so impressed that he gave me 20% off everything I rented from that day on...JJ

What a complete asshat to return someone elses property in that condition, and the fact you had to go get it would twerk me off even more. I could not be in the rental game, I would be in jail.

Ya know, its a damn shame you couldn't go back out there with the pit and show 'em what they should have had to eat, vice what they did have to eat.

A thought, do you offer the ability to rent a smoker and a cook together? If you rent one of our cooks, heres what we will furnish to accompany him. Hell but then he'd want a swamper, and be getting all creative, then you'd be in the catering business.

Your right, just rent the pit!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky