How much wood to add in MES 40"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

andrew82

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
Winston Salem, NC
Hello all! I am going to fire up the new MES 40 soon and just had a couple questions about how much wood to add for different kinds of smokes.I am used to the WSM and was just wondering how many chips and how long do i have to keep adding them after every hour or so to get a comparable result of a wood smoker? Maybe just add every 45 min for 2 hours whole poultry? For a butt keep adding every hour for how long? thanks!!

You will need to add chips every 30-40 minutes, which is why most of us use the AMNS. It will smoke for 6-8 hours with nice TBS.

To answer your question . You should use a palm full of chips every 30 - 40min or so.

Thanks! I should be getting my AMNS in the mail today! from what I have read you light both sides but leave the middle empty. how much dust would you use if you were doing ribs?

Just fill it up & light both ends. If the ribs get done before the dust burns out just take a spoon & pull the burning dust away from the unburned dust, that will keep the rest from burning  and you can save it for next time. I don't leave the middle empty and the fire seems to meet just about in the middle every time. 

Just fill it up & light both ends. If the ribs get done before the dust burns out just take a spoon & pull the burning dust away from the unburned dust, that will keep the rest from burning  and you can save it for next time. I don't leave the middle empty and the fire seems to meet just about in the middle every time. 

Al has gave you some good advice, that is what I do...

In the begining, I had some trouble with too much smoke and creosote in my MES. 2, 3, or 4 chips at a time depending on the size does it. You don't need to see it billowing smoke to be doing the job. The MES is very effecient and much depends on how well your door seal works.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky