• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

How much wood to add in MES 40"

andrew82

Smoke Blower
Joined Nov 8, 2010
Hello all! I am going to fire up the new MES 40 soon and just had a couple questions about how much wood to add for different kinds of smokes.I am used to the WSM and was just wondering how many chips and how long do i have to keep adding them after every hour or so to get a comparable result of a wood smoker? Maybe just add every 45 min for 2 hours whole poultry? For a butt keep adding every hour for how long? thanks!!

tyotrain

Master of the Pit
Joined Mar 31, 2010
I don't have a MES but i no a lot of the guys here do.. I also no most of them are running a maze smoker in it. You can check that out at this like.. http://www.amazenproducts.com/   Hope this helps i am sure there will be a MES owner along soon.. Happy smoking..

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
You will need to add chips every 30-40 minutes, which is why most of us use the AMNS. It will smoke for 6-8 hours with nice TBS.

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
SmokinAl  X 2

Bear

eman

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 3, 2009
To answer your question . You should use a palm full of chips every 30 - 40min or so.

andrew82

Smoke Blower
Joined Nov 8, 2010
Thanks! I should be getting my AMNS in the mail today! from what I have read you light both sides but leave the middle empty. how much dust would you use if you were doing ribs?

SmokinAl

Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Just fill it up & light both ends. If the ribs get done before the dust burns out just take a spoon & pull the burning dust away from the unburned dust, that will keep the rest from burning  and you can save it for next time. I don't leave the middle empty and the fire seems to meet just about in the middle every time. 

beer-b-q

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined May 1, 2007
Just fill it up & light both ends. If the ribs get done before the dust burns out just take a spoon & pull the burning dust away from the unburned dust, that will keep the rest from burning  and you can save it for next time. I don't leave the middle empty and the fire seems to meet just about in the middle every time. 

Al has gave you some good advice, that is what I do...

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
SmokinAl and Beer-B-Q---Plus 1.

Bear

bogview

SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 9, 2007
In the begining, I had some trouble with too much smoke and creosote in my MES. 2, 3, or 4 chips at a time depending on the size does it. You don't need to see it billowing smoke to be doing the job. The MES is very effecient and much depends on how well your door seal works.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.