How much to pay for smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cenexguy

Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
I have a friend that I have asked to smoke 9 briskets for my daughters wedding. I bought, and paid for the meat. I also trimmed it. He took over with the prep, as far as injecting, seasoning with rubs, and smoking. He also served it for us at the reception.
He had 2 hours travel time, one way, to get here.
What does everyone think would be a fair price to pay him. Raw product was 150 pounds. As he and I have been smoking together for several years in some sanctioned competitions, I don't want to insult him. At the same time, he isn't the type of guy who wants anything for doing it for us.

This is how I look at it. If you would have paid for briskets to be smoked what would the total price be for it based on the pounds or the number of briskets. Minus the cost of the meats from that and then you have your difference. At that point figure what would would be happy with if it was you and then you should know what to offer. Also if he has a fav beer or what not a 6 or 24 pack of that would hurt.

All that being said if it was me I would throw atleast a few c notes his way. If he refuses then ok but thats what I would do

If you know he won't take any money from you, then get him and his wife/girlfriend/significant other a nice gift card for a date night somewhere special.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky