How much smoke?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

herman4

Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
Mass
I just got an MSE 30 so I am trying my first smoke salmon.
I brined overnight, dried to form p. And now to the smoker @ 150
My question is how much smoke should I see ? Should smoke come out of the smoker?
It seems like there is not much smoke getting produced!

Never smoked salmon .But you may have to bring the temps on the mes higher to get smoke.

You might put a few lit coals in your chip tray to help ignite the chips.

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome Herman to SMF. Now for you salmon I haven't done much of it since I don't eat it. But there will be alot of folks here soon enouogh that have done alot of it. I'm just say howdy and welcome. You'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So if you need sign up for the E-Course it's free and it will give you the basics of smoking and some good methods to use also. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction        

WELCOME!!!

The MES 30 is a great little smoker, but has a problem producing smoke at lower temps. 

What eman said.....Try adding a piece charcoal to the chip tray and see it it will keep the chips going when the element turns off.

Others will pipe in soon.

Todd

Last edited:
I just got an MSE 30 so I am trying my first smoke salmon.
I brined overnight, dried to form p. And now to the smoker @ 150
My question is how much smoke should I see ? Should smoke come out of the smoker?
It seems like there is not much smoke getting produced!
If that one has the half chip drawer, and has half the chip dumper blocked off, you got the model with the problem. There is a free retro from Masterbuiilt to fix that. I'll be right back. I'm going to get the link that shows it.

On Edit:  Herman, Here is the video from Masterbuilt that shows how to put the retro in. If your smoker parts look like the ones the guy is removing, you need the parts that he is putting in. If your parts look like the ones he is putting in, then your problem is something else.

[color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]http://www.masterbuilt.com/video/sept2010/smokeretrokit.wmv[/color]

Bear

Last edited:
When I smoke salmon, I set the MES to about 250.  I've tried to smoke things at 140 and got no smoke at all.  If you really want to do a warm smoke at 150, you need to get the A-Maze-N smoker that burns sawdust.  Look around and you'll see lots of articles about it, including some videos.  IMO, it is the only way to do cold smoke, e.g. of cheese.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky