How many #s per person?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I usually do 1/2lb per person.. But I always overcook so I have leftovers. Especially shoulder so i have some next time I make beans. I think normal guidelines would be 1/4lb per person? Cant hurt to have more :)

I think the general rule of thumb is about a 1/4# finished per person with sides. There's about 40% loss from raw to smoked butt I believe. So given 12 people assuming that their all adults you'll need roughly 3+ pounds of finished product. I would say an 8lber would do, but having a little extra is always safe. Someone will chime in soon and let you know if my numbers don't add up.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky