Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Electric Smokers' started by ronp, Feb 25, 2010.
Thanks Bear! I'll get it as soon as I finish my Christmas shopping.
Jana in Indiana
Do I want to buy pellets or sawdust? Sorry for all these newbie questions.
Jana in Indiana
Pellets will do everything, but if you know you'll be doing cold smoking (under 100*) or warm smoking (under 200*), get some dust for that. It keeps going better at low temps. You can't use dust at higher temps.
My wife got me the MES for my birthday, this fall. Still getting to know my way around it, but enjoying it a lot so far. Tried smoking cheddar cheese today. A couple blocks were in a ht spot, and look pretty funky, but most came through OK, and will wrap up nicely for neighbors and friends!
Keep those funky ones for yourself. They might look funny, but probably taste even better than the others.
You are right, Bear, we couldn't wait the two weeks people were suggesting...along with some professionally done summer sausage, it is making a nice dinner tonight!
I ran my cheese mistakes through the cheese shredder and made Mac and Cheese with it. Yummy, just yummy!
Thanks Bear! Everything is ordered. I got the new thermometer, too. I have an older Maverick but it only does the internal temp.
Jana in Indiana
In the event any of it survives, I will sure use that idea, thanks!
Got my MES 40" as an early Christmas present. Arrived this past Tuesday. Doing burn in and seasoning today. Decisions decisions. What to do next.
I just received my AMNPS with the bags of pellets. Trying to decide what to smoke 1st. When I decide,
I'll post pics.
Got mine at Bass Pro. Think I need to invest in an AMNPS but not sure which will work best for my MES 30".
The 5 X 8 AMNPS was originally designed to fit perfectly on the bars in the bottom of a Generation #1 MES 30, to the left of your chip burner assembly. There should be about 1/8" to 3/8" to spare.
I got a 30" black MES around Father's day 2012. It was easy to use and I made some great briskets with it using the Big Bad Beef Rub (plus some rosemary) on AmazingRibs.com.
I got the 40" MES stainless with window on Black Friday at Academy for $199. (Yes, I got up and got there at 5 a.m. to get it for $199.) Couldn't resist getting it for the price because of the automatic temperature control feature. I was having issues with maintaining constant temperatures with the old MES 30" and the cooking probe on my ET72 went bad. Plus there were times I could use the bigger smoker.
I seasoned the 40" MES yesterday. Wished I would have found the post below before I seasoned it. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/how-to-season-or-cure-your-masterbuilt-electric-smoker
1. Right now, I am making my first brisket on it. It is taking considerably longer than my old 30" MES. (1.5x to double the time)
2. I read about the temperature probe issues with the 40" MES. I am lucky as the internal meat probe of the MES 40" and the ET72 are reading either the same or within 1 degree of each other.
3. The 30" black MES would put out smoke for the duration I was smoking. I am finding that I need to refill the wood chips every 45 minutes or so with the 40" MES. In addition, I need to soak the wood for about 30 minutes prior to reloading (so it will last longer.) I see about adding the pellet smoker. Not sure about that yet.
4. Love the timer feature. However, wasn't prepared for the increased cooking time so the smoker went off before the brisket was done. Luckily, I caught it before it had been off too long.
5. With the electronic control on top, I will need to get a cover. Found this link on another post and it appears to be the best option.
6. Read about calling Masterbuilt and getting a retro-fit to help with the smoking. Don't know if I need it as I have model 20070311.
Any info or feedback is appreciated.
Got my for xmas and used it twice, works ok so far, do wish it smoked a little longer but that can be fixed
I just learned something. Added mine to the poll. Over 1000 mes owners on the forums, masterbuiltt should sponsor this forum.
Yup, there's an MES Army here.
I think they are one of the Sponsors.
30" MES and I got it from Bass Pro Shop. I have an Aunt that told me she would buy me and another uncle of mine one since we like to cook all the time. I love it. Set it and forget it!!
Got mine for Christmas, 40" W/ window. Lisa bought it on Amazon I believe. $269.00
I've been cooking on it since I got it, and really enjoy it.
Seems to be worth the money so far. We'll see how it holds up.
My first electric smoker. Holds temp well, no fuss w/loading wood, or checking charcoal.
So far I really like it!!!!!!!
Question for MES 40 with window owners...
Have any of you had a problem with the door cracking at the top around the screws? Mine has 2 pretty significant cracks which start around the screws in the top inside of the door and go up and over the top to the outside. I don't know if it's causing any kind of problem but I've had this smoker less than 6 months so I'm pretty annoyed. I do have some black Flex Seal and I was thinking of spraying some on a brush and trying to seal the cracks with that.