How Many Mes Owners Here?

Discussion in 'Electric Smokers' started by ronp, Feb 25, 2010.

1. 30'

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 40'

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 40' with window

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 40' 800 watt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 40' 1200 watt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I like it a lot

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I wish I had something else and why

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Where did you buy it?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Sams Club

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other please list where in a post

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. tiki guy

tiki guy Smoking Fanatic

Well I "HAD" a Brinkmann  Electric and WAS very happy with it , till this past week end , I went to use it and the left top, and rear completely rusted threw !

After bitching a while I stated looking at this thread , and checking out new smokers.  I think I'm going with the MES 30 inch , looks great , also great reviews 

So anyone have any tips , tricks , complaints or modifications I should look into ?    

2. okee ed

okee ed Newbie

I bought my MES at Amazon a few weeks ago and I love it.  Its cooking ribs right now using Jeff's special rub

OkeeEd

3. okee ed

okee ed Newbie

I am new to the forum.  I have been a lawyer for almost fifty years and specialized in prosecution and law enforcement,  Retired in Jan., 2002 as the Sheriff of Okeechobee County, Fl. when my heart gave me some problems.  Before that in Okeecohobee, I ran the State Attorney's Office there and was Chief Felony Prosecutor. I was then elected County Judge/Acting Circuit Judge.

I moved to the Florida Panhandle last year to be near my children, grandchildren adn great grandchildren.

I am a newbie at smoking and have so far smoked mullet and catfish, both of which turned out very, very well,  Today I am smoking ribs using Jeff's Rub and will let you know how they turn out. I have a three shelf Masterbuilt smoker.

I am glad to be aboard.

onemagicman likes this.
  4. tiki guy

tiki guy Smoking Fanatic

Yeah I ordered mine from Wally World should be here in a few days , GREAT price I think $177.00 

I loved my old Brinkmann and had many great smokes with and look forward to using the new one, fantastic reviews , and seems this thread shows a lot of happy smokers   

5. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I think inside of one year, you'll be kicking yourself for not going right to the MES 40.

Happened to most of us.

Bear

6. tiki guy

tiki guy Smoking Fanatic

Ha ...I thought about it ...let me be dumb....what is the big difference ?  

For now , it was kinda a price issue , I didn't plan on buying a new smoker I really love my Brinkmann if it had not have rusted out ...I would keep using it .   Still can't believe it rusted so bad its NEVER been in the rain, its on a carport well shielded and tucked under a shelf . I did buy a cover for the new MES   I do have a question I read a lot of people have had issues with the digital control panel . Can it be easily remover and stored ? 

7. bearcarver

Biggest difference is 10" in height, which gives you more room from the top rack to the ceiling, and more space between each of the other racks. Also more width, giving you a lot more rack space. I hope you'll be happy with the MES 30, but I & many others weren't.

I keep mine under roof, so I don't have to, but yes my digital control is easy to remove.

Bear

8. It doesn't mean it's the right way and the manufacturers will not recommend it.  

The pellets are not meant to burn as quickly as they will in the MES chip tray.  The first time I tried the 50/50 combination I couldn't believe the smoke that billowed when the door was opened.  I've never seen a flare up, but when the door is opened, oxygen is added and you might see a flicker of flame coming out of the wood tray.  In my mind, this is not desirable, so don't open the door until you feel the wood chip mixture has burnt down in the MES's somewhat oxygen deprived environment..

Like I said before, this is what I do.  A thousand other people here do things differently.  Most are just as right as anyone else.  Some are less right and that's the category I place my comments.  Call it "experimental".  I call it, running out of enough wood chips to finish a bbq a few years back, improvising, and liking the results.

9. 173rdherd

173rdherd Fire Starter

I recently bought a 40(haven't seasoned it yet), and am still using my 30 which has been great for me and the Fabulous Susie K. 6 racks of BB ribs, 4racks of spare ribs, 2 pork butts, 2 turkeys, 2 briskets, 4 corned beefs,at a time.... do not like how it does chicken. Any way point is the 30 was a great learning tool and served my small family well, so i think it has a place on the market.

10. tiki guy

tiki guy Smoking Fanatic

Thanks bear , as soon as it gets here I'm gonna set it up season it ....and then a smoke with Q view .

Hey 173rdherd   what about the "Chicken"  Ya say ya don't like how it does chicken?   I do a lotta Turkeys & Chicken .....can ya explain what ya mean ?

11. You can, but not very many. Don't fill the tray up unless you like fire and white smoke. (Don't ask)...It WILL screw up your groceries.[​IMG]

Best bet and cooks, stay with the chips.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  12. Thanks Jarhead.  Chips it is!  We don't need no stinkin' pellets......

13. 173rdherd

173rdherd Fire Starter

don't like soggy skin and don't want to finish in the oven. I just completed a purchase of the pellet(AMNPS) tray from Todd and am looking forward to hands free smoking in the future.....I have a Turkey in the MES30 right now on pecan chips

Airborne....All The Way!

14. I've had nothing but problems with my MES. all i can say is that i fully rebuilt it and it still doesn't work rite. The best thing about the masterbuilt is the box, I turned it into a cold smoke with a Smoke Daddy.. Now it works..

15. tjnamtiw

tjnamtiw Fire Starter

I have the 40 with window that is the new model bought from Sam's.  The controller on the panel went out and they replaced it within a week no questions asked.  It's working again and just smoked a turkey breast!  Great!

The only wish I have is that I hadn't spent the extra money on the window since it's totally useless!  It gets fogged up and dirty almost immediately and you can't see a thing!  The best thing I found to clean it, believe it or not, is Westley's BleachWhite tire cleaner!  Takes all that crap right off!  Don't get the window!

16. bearcarver

The window is one of my favorite things about my MES 40.

Very easy to clean, but you can't let it go.

I clean mine before every smoke, with Windex, or wet paper towels & ashes, or most other glass cleaners. Takes about 3 minutes.

Bear

17. tiki guy

tiki guy Smoking Fanatic

Well.....the UPS man just left , and My new MES 30 is here !  Looks pretty .    I will be seasoning it later this evening and hopefully a Q-View this week end.  

18. ha! I just got my MES 40 delivered too! Looking forward to cracking it open. Whats your first smoke going to be?

19. tiki guy

tiki guy Smoking Fanatic

I was gonna do a brisket , BUT My girl is wanting Turkey breast & a Chicken....so why not !     I have to do some Burgers , My son made some for me some nice thick Gourmet burgers he got from his butcher  He smoked um 45 mins then finish um on the grill for a few mins .  I never had them like that they where great. Hows bout YOU with that new 40 ????/