How Long.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

1ray

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 19, 2014
Garland Tx
How long dose everyone smoke their cheese.

Attachments

• D280EF9A-BF1D-4915-926C-20FA260DC940.jpeg
    D280EF9A-BF1D-4915-926C-20FA260DC940.jpeg
    124.8 KB · Views: 49
Smoking cheese seems simple at first but takes a bit of tinkering to perfect. For me, it has to be dust and I run 4hrs or so.

I run it for 4 hours using apple pellets in amnps tray. You will have to try various times to see what you like best.

Ryan

I wouldn't go very long with your current setup. Using a tube with pellets in a horizontal pellet grill is going to create some stinky smoke as you are probably not going to get adequate airflow.

2 hours for me. I would rather under smoke than over smoke. I use a 6" A-Maze-N oval tube in my 3-burner Genesis II.
IMG_20210123_161934.jpg

I have noticed ambient temperature has a big effect on how much smoke some cheeses will absorb. Cheese smoked at 60*F for two hours is just right for my family but if it is 35-40*F it takes much longer. So, two hours at 60*F and I adjust time from there.

Reactions: zwiller
Here's what I do may be right or wrong but works for us. 4 hours with apple pellets then make sure the cheese is dry no condensation or anything then vacuum seal and wait 2 weeks to allow the flavor to meld and mellow.
Some don't wait the 14 days but we like it better that way

6 to 7 hours for me, but I'm using an A-Maze-N sawdust tray. I start sampling one sacrifice piece at 4 hours and try and judge the perfect flavor over the next 2 or 3 hours. I do a counter rest for a few hours and set it in the fridge on some peach paper. Bagging can cause condensation, which is not good. I'll tent it with clear wrap, often with a paper towel over it, again to stop condensation. The next day I do another taste test, and sometimes I need to give it some more smoke, usually 1 to 2 hours.

Most hard to semi-soft cheeses I'll do 3-4 hours. However, pepperjack in particular I've had really good success with up to 6-8 hours on that. Done in two 3-4 hour smokes with a day to rest in between. Gives a really prominent smokey flavor but doesn't overpower the peppers at all. Also with the double smoking you can switch up your flavors. I've done cherry/hickory on pepperjacks before and it turned out awesome. Especially if you then grate that into a mac and cheese.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky