How long too season SRG

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

a g k

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 3, 2014
Green Bay,Wi
  Hi all and Merry Christmas.  Just received a new Char-Broil SRG & want to use it for Christmas Day meal. Did quite a bit of browsing on forums, but didn't find much. Anyone with a SRG have any info, I would appreciate any & all comments.

Alan

I would season it for a few hours - at least 2 hours after it reaches temp - but 3 or 4 hours would be better.  Too short could be bad - too long is never a problem.  Run it hot at the beginning too to get any "doesn't-belong-in-the-smoker" fumes out.  Good luck and enjoy!

After rubbing the rack, grate and both sides of the insert I think I just ran mine on high for maybe an hour. Ran it until it wasn't smoking anymore. Used vegetable oil.

After rubbing the rack, grate and both sides of the insert I think I just ran mine on high for maybe an hour. Ran it until it wasn't smoking anymore. Used vegetable oil.

Thanks Uncle Eddie & SkiDog for the replies. Did as you suggested & then did the first cook on a small prime rib that we got at a reduced price. Didn't want to experiment on a expensive prime rib. Turned out great. 

And Merry Christmas to one and all.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky