• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

How long too season SRG

a g k

Fire Starter
Joined Nov 3, 2014
  Hi all and Merry Christmas.  Just received a new Char-Broil SRG & want to use it for Christmas Day meal. Did quite a bit of browsing on forums, but didn't find much. Anyone with a SRG have any info, I would appreciate any & all comments.

Alan

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined May 14, 2016
I would season it for a few hours - at least 2 hours after it reaches temp - but 3 or 4 hours would be better.  Too short could be bad - too long is never a problem.  Run it hot at the beginning too to get any "doesn't-belong-in-the-smoker" fumes out.  Good luck and enjoy!

skidog

Fire Starter
Joined Nov 20, 2016
After rubbing the rack, grate and both sides of the insert I think I just ran mine on high for maybe an hour. Ran it until it wasn't smoking anymore. Used vegetable oil.

skidog

Fire Starter
Joined Nov 20, 2016
After rubbing the rack, grate and both sides of the insert I think I just ran mine on high for maybe an hour. Ran it until it wasn't smoking anymore. Used vegetable oil.

a g k

Fire Starter
Joined Nov 3, 2014
Thanks Uncle Eddie & SkiDog for the replies. Did as you suggested & then did the first cook on a small prime rib that we got at a reduced price. Didn't want to experiment on a expensive prime rib. Turned out great. 

And Merry Christmas to one and all.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.