How long does it take to sprout after planting?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bbqjefff

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 27, 2022
We planted bulbs of garlic and onions maybe 2-3 weeks ago. How long should it take for them to sprout?

I looked yesterday and saw what looked like a green sprout going horizontally and it was bright green so that looks like a good sign I think.

You're supposed to plant garlic in like October to harvest it in maybe June or July. According to my mom who is nearly an octogenarian master gardener but last summer was bitterly disappointed that none of her garlic came up, and ultimately found her bags of seed garlic rotting in the shed.

You're supposed to plant garlic in like October to harvest it in maybe June or July. According to my mom who is nearly an octogenarian master gardener but last summer was bitterly disappointed that none of her garlic came up, and ultimately found her bags of seed garlic rotting in the shed.
Our garlic isn't as big this year but we will harvest it this weekend and see. At least we learned a bit about it.

Garden in northern climate.
All root crop goes down in the spring. Very late spring this year.
No garlic or shallots this year. Onions should be ready in early September

Our garlic is looking small. We pulled one but put it back in. It was tiny. So you can still use the greens?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky