1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

How long does it take in an Excalibur to make jerky?

Discussion in 'Making Jerky' started by atcnick, Jan 5, 2011.

1. atcnick

atcnick Smoking Fanatic

Got an Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator.  Im making beef jerky for the first time using eye of round roast cut 1/4" thick.  Everyone tells me its going to take better part of 8-12 hours.  Mines just under 4 hours now and it looks almost ready.  Is this about right?

Its set on 155*f

2. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I did three batches of jerky last weekend and they took around 4.5-5 hours but that was ground meat out of a jerky gun. Does yours have a fan that blows in it? Mine does and it gets the jerky done really fast compared to my dads old Ronco which didn't have a fan and it would take him almost 2 days to get all of it dry when he had a full load. Give it the bend test. If you bend it the meat should crack and look dry but it won't break in half. I bet its getting close. My directions sucked on my dehydrator. It said it would take anywhere from 4-12 hours for jerky. That's a huge difference and I know there are a lot of variables (such as thickness and temp you use if you have a temp control) but come on they should be able to narrow it down a bit. Once you get your first batch done then you will have a better idea how long it will take in your machine.

3. atcnick, I have the same one you do.  I usually set mine at 145 and it takes around 7 hours.  I was reading back on my notes for the last several batches and the shortest was 6 hours and the longest was 8.  The 8 hour session was on the drier side.