How long does ash take to cool down??? I'm in a jam

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nickm62388

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 9, 2015
Jamison,PA
I haven't smoked in a while and I wanna smoke ribs at my mother in laws tomorrow but I'm afraid if I start at 12/1ish and be done by 5pm ish the ash from the charcoal won't cool down in time by the time I leave her house later that night and she is anal about stuff being hot still when their not outside and watching it.....any ideas or advice ? I miss smoking so bad and it's perfect to make two nice racks of ribs

yeahthat.gif
 What he said.

Ed

Last edited:
Ya unfortunately she's not gonna want me to put all the ash in with water and just dump it on her nice lawn

Get a metal ash bucket. They have a lid that clamps shut with the bucket handle. Dump your ash in there with some water. Clamp the lid down and take it home with you once it's cooled down.

The correct answer here is to not smoke anything at your mother-in-law's place. Nothing that you can do will ever please her, so don't even try.

Reactions: gr0uch0
The correct answer here is to not smoke anything at your mother-in-law's place. Nothing that you can do will ever please her, so don't even try.
That can be very true. I was lucky to have a great MIL. She lived with us 18 years and was a great help with the kids while the Mrs' and I worked...JJ

Maybe you could smoke the meat the day before at your house and take it over to her house the next day and reheat. Since you are doing ribs do 3-2 and do the sauce step at her house since you only need about 30min-1hr worth of heat you should have plenty of cool down time.

Hope this helps,

phatbac (Aaron)

Everyone using charcoal should have a metal bucket with the lid that snaps on by the handles.  They are available at HD and Lowes.  I don't care if my ashes have been setting in my smoker or grill for a week, they NEVER go in the trash until they've spent some time in the bucket too.  I had a neighbor in a previous neighborhood whose garage burned down when he put 48 hour ashes (his claim) in his trash bin.  They ignited the trash and poof, no garage or cars. 

I'm going to have to try that lawn thing.     

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky