how long can you foil smoked meat before serving?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jerseydrew

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
how long can a butt or brisket stay at eating temp in foil and towels in a cooler?

sounds good, that should give me a few hours of built in time if i need it. 

As long as it stays above 140IT you are good to go as long as you need too.

However after a couple hours you may experience quality deterioration. I would go no more than 5hrs if possible. If you know you are going to be a long time like 4-5hrs+, I would build that into my carry over cooking plan. I would pull the pork out of the smoker at around 180-186IT instead of the 190-195IT.

Carry over cooking is the balancing of the outside temp with the interior temp. Your IT temp will continue to rise after removing from the heat. By wrapping with foil and towels into an insulated cooler, I have seen the IT rise as much as 15 degrees.

I'm what you guys call a "newbee".  I'm planning my very first q soon (after some dry runs of course), but I don't know if I have come across the trick of using towels in a cooler.  I'm sure I will come across this many times and feel like an idiot for asking you why.  It seems logical that it would absorb moisture and if you are keeping the meat in foil which is not sealed for extended periods of time, would'nt it absorb the moisture out of the meat.  Kind of like a wicking material of socks that sucks the water from you pant leg down to your toes on those cold hunting mornings.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky