How long can I rest a brisket?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jimpam

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 14, 2010
Benbrook, TX
so my family wants my brisket along with the usual turkeys I smoke for Christmas this year. While planning and timing things out I was wondering - what is the max I could let my brisket rest (wrapped in towels in my yeti cooler)? I usually rest them 2 hours or so on a typical smoke. I don't want them to tighten up or dry; thanks in advance for any reply - I learn SO much on this forum!

I just foil and then use a towel and place in a cooler. It rested 3 hours and came out great

Wrapped in a cooler, meat will not dry out and the gelatin will not set and firm the meat until the meat gets below 45°F. There is no issue holding 4-5 hours and it will still be hot. Beyond that the temp drops slowly and it will keep safely another 4 hours. At 8 hours it may be colder than you would wish to eat it but there is no safety issue if wrapped Hot and undisturbed...JJ

Reactions: magnus
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky