How do you like beef cooked towards?

Discussion in 'Beef' started by mole177, Dec 11, 2010.

1. mole177

mole177 Fire Starter

I generally like everything beef, ground beef excluded,  medium rare.

How do you guys like it ?

Does it matter to what done-ness cooked for brisket or tri tip or just personal preference?

2. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

It does matter for the different cuts some need to reach higher temps to give them time to become tender such as brisket while other things like prime rib roast do not and would be overdone at higher temps. I personally can't tell you much about tri tip we don't get them down here

3. Steaks, medium-rare or medium depending on the cut and mood I'm in 

Rib roast, medium-rare

Pork steaks, pork roasts, ribs and anything ground, medium-well

Beef roasts, ribs, high end of medium

Lamb, medium

Brisket, well

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  4. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

Well let's say that my meat sometimes has to be tied down on the plate. I like my steaks, prime rib whipp it a_ _ and wave it over the grill and slap it on to the plate. Maybe 125°ish or so and then the pork with a liuttle pink in it. Maybe around 135-140°ish and then lamb and goat I like them about 140°ish and then things like a brisket I always take them to 200-205° for pulling and then longer for burnt ends.

5. fourthwind

fourthwind Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I second this other than I don't pull Briskets.  I take them to 195 to 197 for slicing.  depends on the individual piece of meat.   I like grilling my Tri tips over high heat to get a nice char on the outside, and internal temps at about the 130 to 135 range when finished.  They are still hard to find and expensive here in Colorado.  I used to cook them all the time when I lived on the west coast.