How do I know if my hog casings are good?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

imbecky

Original poster
Dec 16, 2022
I'm new to making sausage. This is the first time I've used hog casing. I'd like to know how I can tell if a hank is bad. The package I just bought has an unpleasant smell; is the normal? If it is spoiled, how would it smell? Also, any recommendations on what brands are best?

Thanks for the help! :emoji_grinning:

I'm new to making sausage. This is the first time I've used hog casing. I'd like to know how I can tell if a hank is bad. The package I just bought has an unpleasant smell; is the normal? If it is spoiled, how would it smell? Also, any recommendations on what brands are best?

Thanks for the help! :emoji_grinning:
The smell is normal.
Your nose would know if they were spoiled and you may see the spoilage on the casing. Im assuming they are salt packed.

Reactions: imbecky

There's a great read on how to handle and care for natural casings. I had some sheep casings I had gotten had a not so pleasant smell ( lol, they stunk!) But followed that post and were all better after that.

Ryan

It's normal for them to smell a bit.
Beef casing have a stronger smell still.

If they are packed in salt, they are good.
Keep them refigerated and stored in dry salt, they'll last forever.

After rinsing, the funky smell will be gone.

I get my casing from sausagemaker.com

Reactions: imbecky
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky