How did you get started in grilling and smoking.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm 48 and since I was as a teen my dad would have a get together for Memorial Day. I started as friends and family and evolved into a family reunion that continues to this day. Nothing fancy. Just a home-built smoker, no brine, or fancy thermometers. He's passed that down to myself, my cousins and its moving to the next generation. The best weekend of my year is always Memorial Day weekend.

I just happened to run into this Thread, so though I'm pretty late to this Party, I'll give you what I got:

To start with, I'll tell you that my family never had any kind of grill when I was a Kid. My Dad figured the food Mom made in the Kitchen was good enough for All of us!
The only time we ever had any flame cooked food, was when we went to the mountains for a weekend. Then we had a camp-fire going & held Hot Dogs over the flames with sticks we cut from the area woods, and finished the night off with doing the same thing with some Marshmallows.
Then the next time I had any association with outside cooking was in Vietnam, when we had that monthly Company party, and made Steaks & Chicken on 50 gallon drums cut in half & supported on their sides on 4 legs. Great tasting food, I think--Drank a lot of Beer at those Crazy Gatherings (Memory's a little Fuzzy)!!
Then from Vietnam, I went to Hawaii, and since I knew I would be there at least 6 months, I told Mrs Bear to quit her job & come to Hawaii to keep me company. A couple weeks after she got there we went out and bought a Hibachi, and I started making Steaks on the Hibachi. I loved those cheap steaks!! Then from Hawaii, We went to Ft Hood, Texas, and our Hibachi followed us there. Seven Months later, When I got out of the Army, I bought a Gas Grill, and went through a few of them over the next 40 years.
Then in 2009 I ran into this Forum, and you all know the rest.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky