• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

How can I smoke?

SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

beartoo

Mar 27, 2015
Hi Everyone

I have a MES 40 electric, Gen 1, glass door.  I have Jerky and a Butt ready to smoke, they are seasoned and in refrigerator, and it is raining. Can I cover my control panel with something and start my smoker in the  rain? Should I wait it out?

Thanks

beartoo

Last edited:

jlcnuke

Fire Starter
Dec 26, 2013
Mine has gotten wet from rain while smoking before without issue, if you have a top vent you might be better off rigging an umbrella or something to block some of the rain though, I keep mine under a bit of an overhang when smoking in the rain most of the time though. Shouldn't be a problem even if you can't though (though I'd recommend doing the jerky and the butt separate since jerky should really be done at a much lower temp than a pork butt).

beartoo

Mar 27, 2015
  • Hi  lcnuke 
  • Thanks for the quick response. I did't think about using an   umbrella. I will do the jerky first then the Butt. I hope to start first thing in the morning.
  • Thanks  again,
  • Beartoo

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Top Bottom
Clicky