How best to fit spare ribs in my MES 30"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

weathertom

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
I've got an MES 20070411 30" smoker, and this weekend will be my first time using it to do much (did some chicken and a beef chuck roast so far). I'm planning to do some spare ribs and pork butt. It was immediately apparent to me that a full rack of ribs is too long to fit into the smoker, so I'll obviously need to separate the rack into two smaller racks. Are there any best practices when it comes to doing so, or is simplest (two equal halves) best? I was thinking I could maximize space by breaking them into 2/3 and 1/3 pieces, which could be helpful since I'm planning to do four racks, but didn't know if that was a bad idea for any reason. So, any suggestions would be appreciated. I have an old rib rack, but it looks like it will only allow for three "racks".

I don't think it really matters since they will be of equal thickness however you cut them so I would cut to maximize rack space.

Look at a trimmed rack of ribs .one end is thicker and the ribs are longer . Cut the racks in half and put the thickest part of the racks on the right side of the  mes and the thinnest parts all the way to the left.

The right side is over the element and runs hotter than the left side

Good point, thanks. I plan to place them into rib racks, so hopefully that will help in evening things out as well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky