How are your gardens coming along?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shellbellc

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 7, 2006
Valley Forge, PA
Ours is coming along nicely. Hubby had a couple hot peppers already, I'm trying to convince him to dead head the blooms but he's got this capcacin addiction...In total we wound up with 56 hot peppers, 30 tomatoes, 5 sweet peppers, 3 egg plant, 4 zucchini, 4 cucumber, 6 asparagas (for next year), about 5 strawberry plants, one raspberry bush that has become like it's own carnationand it taking over a little side of the house flower bed!
PDT_Armataz_01_09.gif

We have had a rough time of it here in WV along the Ohio Vally.Yesterday we got the first rain in two months.I dont even have everything out yet because of the drought.Our well isnt the best in the world especially with five people in the house.I can haul water pretty cheap and was going to start hauling this weekend until we got this rain.Hopefully we will start getting some descent rain.

IVE GOTTON ABOUT A PINT OF CHERRY TOMATOES SO FAR...
2 green peppers and lots of cilantro....

my plants are loaded...
more cherry toms and green peppers by this weekend...
PDT_Armataz_01_06.gif

Got 6 tomato plants, some zucs and peppers going, no fruit yet, but it's coming!
Can't wait for a bacon-tomato sammie. Lettuce is such a waste.
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

ours is starting to come along........mostly peppers, but a few other things as well.......will see how everything turns out
69a4ccc8_vbattach13013.jpg

4f6c8dc3_vbattach13012.jpg

Weeds are doing great! And the deer really like my okra and beans! I got off to a really late start this year, and everything is just cerimonial.

just have a starter garden this year to see how we do. sold a camper and just tilled it up where it was, about 15 x 20 and planted some corn, tomatoes and some peppers, growing good got a few blossoms on the peppers and matos if it does good and the critters keep out gonna go hole hog next year

I lack certian management skills. I can't manage my time or money, or that is I manage to waste all of my time and money!

After a few years of working the soil up to a really good bed I let the garden site set idle for a few years because I just had too many other irons in the fire. So things reverted back to some really good looking lawn in that area. I didn't get it turned under until a month ago or so and even then it was only a shallow tilling. I think that if anything survives the critters it will have it rough growing in to the hardpan that has come up to about 8"

I got a couple of rows of sweet corn out, Honey and Cream and maybe Silver queen, I don't remember, and I figure that I will add more in a couple of weeks for a later harvest and maybe freezing. I have had big time Japanese Beetle problems before with corn and okra, I may actually take some steps towards controling that this year.

Beans, Collards, sunflowers, maters, peppers and more to come as I get around to it.

Nothing worth taking pics of yet!

I offered/donated my little Honda tiller (kinda like a Mantis) to my neighbor, to encourage his tending to the garden attitude. It has seemed to work, but I havent been offered ANYTHING yet. I know he has green & yellow squash, and cukes already.

FYI....... I just moved in to this house this year, and cant find the right spot for a garden yet. I'm not waitin on the neighbor next year!!!!!!!

Well, my herb garden is doing great........

While the veggie garden is struggling, got a late start cuse of the wettest spring i've ever seen, now dragging cause it hasn't rained since we planted a month ago
icon_evil.gif

We hauled 200 gal of water a couple days ago and put on the garden.Then last night it decided to rain and we have had more good rain today.When things get some size to them I submit some pics.

im gettig so much cilantro im good and summer just started...

a few cherry tomatoes and green peppers have all ready been eaten..
c toms grow in clusters of 3--and get big
icon_razz.gif

the plants are loaded...

next year it will be grape tomateos ---yum

Our garden is really coming along well, I'll have to get out and get some pics to show you. Grape maters any day now, hubby's gotten a few hot peps, zucniki is really taking off, collected about a pint of black raspberries, and the strawberries aren't known cause whenever someone walks by them we reach down and pick and eat!!

all my fowers are blooming,2 tomatoe plants made it past the kittens(litter box to them) and the peppers are coming along. i have some pics of my glads & tiger lilies under flowers-last years flowers.we're also growing birdhouse gourds to paint & sell next year.

bumpity, bump, bump...

Two weeks of vaca and our garden exploded. I did a lot of late variety maters, I don't know if the plants will be able to hold all of them beef steaks up!!!
icon_eek.gif

Peppers out the wazoo, I definitely have to come up with some put up recipes for them.

How's everyone else coming along?

Looks like this forum isn't a real hot one but thought I've give some info on our gardening efforts.

With the kids grown and gone, our garden is a lot smaller than it once was. We're down to about a 40x80 plot. Have been raising a garden in this spot for more than 35 yrs. It feeds us well and we preserve a lot of food. In addition to the garden we grow grapes, prunes, plums, black and blue berries. Also have several apple trees.

Typ will grow 25-30 tomato plants, 5 rows of corn, lettuce, radishes, beets, green beans, cukes, mellons, carrots, peppers, cabage and even a few okra plants. There are other veggies as well but don't recall them all for now.

GB's are all in the freezer, making pickles now. Corn is several weeks off and tomato plants are loaded but only a few cherry tomatoes so far.

A lot of what we planted this yr came from starts from our green house.

I've had just the opposite conditions here in Oklahoma. It has finally STOPPED raining. The lake that is about 6 miles from my house is 24 ft. above normal. My tomatoes are doing good, my squash has molded from all the rain and my corn looks like crap. But at least my tomatoes look good! not all is lost.

Again this year I have Blossom End Rot on my tomatos. I added lime b-4 planting. So I bought a product called Solucal and melted it down with water in a bucket and forced feed them calcium so far so good.

Sure could use more rain looks like a drought agin this year...2 in a row.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky