houston we have a problem (to hot)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scottddove

Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
georgia
I am having a hard time getting my temp to stay down. well actually its just to dang hot (325) I am using apple wood straight and have had the air intake completely closed for an hour and a half and the temp will not go down. I have the smoke stack half closed as well. Any ideas what I am doing wrong I am afraid I am going to ruin the two boston butts I have on right now. I did put some water on the hot coals but I dont want to put out the fire or stir up to much ashes. the internal temp has reaced 165 in 6 hours and I have put the butts in a aluminum pan with another one for a cover.

Open your smokestack, never close that off, will make creosote and ruin your meat. Open your firebox and dump some heat until it settles down to what you want. What are you taking a temp reading on?, stock thermos usually aren't very accurate.......

Are you sure the temps are accurate? Are you going by a door mounted gauge or a probe on/near the grate you are cooking on?

Some people cook with a hot fast method, don't throw the butts out, jsut keep a good eye on them despite the temp issues.

Also, by the time they hit 165 the smoke ring is done forming and also you shaould have a good smokey flavor by then too. If you are really nervouse about it, pull them off and finish in the oven.

BTW 165 after 6 hours sounds about right to me.

name brand is a royal oak. I am using the temp guage the unit came with to guage the temp,but I do have a digital taylor probe in the meat itself. I there is only a few coals even in there I havenet had to add a piece of wood in a hour and a half. I did open up the smoke stack all the way. I guess we will see what happens.

LOL I know, I can't believe I typed that.
icon_redface.gif
We need to get that on the list of banned works with the other 4 letter types.

I often think of another forum where a member wrote

Plague, pestalance, rockslides, 6.8 earthquakes, or higher, mudslides, Volcanic action, with confirmed lava flow, within 5 miles of your house, Tsunamis on the horizon, Category 5 Hurricanes bearing downon your abode, 40 miles an hour winds in conjuction with -32* weather, for a bone chillin -72* temperature, pack -o- wild hyeanas roaming your neighborhood that aint eaten in 2 weeks,Michael Jackson moondancin up your driveway, being serenaded by Janet Jackson singing Thriller, Al-Queda Operatives peeking over your fence and you distinctly detect your name in English through all that Farsi jibberish,, a squadron of Helecopters, all with night vision lights trained on your smokin site, and a voices that are echoing, in rapid succesion, through a bullhorn, at very loud decibles: PUT YOU HANDS UP, STEP AWAY FROM THE SMOKER AND NO-ONE WILL GET HURT, are on the SHORT list of reasons to finish what ya started, in the smoker .. anything short of that.... the oven is for pies

I agree, but just to check, take the taylor out of the meat and test the temp of the smoker. It'll tell you how "off" your door therm is. Mine was off by 80* when I first bought it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky