Hot wing sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jbo_c

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 23, 2020
Here’s a recipe I do that is a regular and always gets lots of complements. The goal was to get the spirit of hot wings in a sausage and I pretty much nailed it as far as I’m concerned(he said modestly).

Now, it’s the ‘spirit’ of hot wings, not exactly the flavor. If you expect them to taste like Buffalo wings, you’ll be disappointed(though if you dip them in Frank’s, you’ll be happy). But they do have that rich fatty chicken, hot spicy and a little tang to them, and even a note of the celery stick sides.

A couple of other notes:
1. Notice that the smoke flavoring is Colgin - the stuff from the grocery store- not a sausage supply. If you’re using the sausage supply house kind, you’ll have to figure out the right amount.
2. The butter flavoring is the stuff you find on the baking aisle near the vanilla and spices.
3. These aren’t insane, but they are distinctly spicy, set your expectations accordingly and adjust for your audience as necessary.

Here’s the recipe in
1673887480847.png
percentages of the meat/fat block. I use all thighs with the skin and add a little additional pork fat to make sure I’m at least around 25%. Also, I like the grind on the fine side(3mm), but obviously you can decide where you want your own grind to fall.

Link fried up quick to go with some leftover Mac-n-cheese for lunch. This was the transition link, so one end is hot chicken and the other is venison hot link. :)

Attachments

• E46EEE5F-F6FB-4AE5-B80E-41066ABCAFD4.jpeg
    E46EEE5F-F6FB-4AE5-B80E-41066ABCAFD4.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 9
Looks interesting and thank you for sharing the recipe!
Funny thing. When I first looked at the post I wasn't logged in. When I logged in to comment the numbers had disappeared from the recipe.....

Fanfreakingtabulous idea! Great job thinking outside the "box" and executing it!

Looks interesting and thank you for sharing the recipe!
Funny thing. When I first looked at the post I wasn't logged in. When I logged in to comment the numbers had disappeared from the recipe....

If you're in Dark Mode the numbers are hard to read but they are still there

Nice work on those . I buy a Buffalo chicken sausage from a local grocer . They're fantastic and pretty hot .
Yours look great .

I tried to take a bite of that cut shot!!!! Lol. Man looks awesome!! This May actually inspire me to try doing some links! Bookmarked

Reactions: kilo charlie
I'm normally not a chicken sausage fan, but those look most excellent. :emoji_thumbsup: I see you have butter and buttermilk powders in them. Maybe some dehydrated bleu crumbles would work well?

Reactions: DougE
Thanks for the positive feedback everybody.

Some bleu probably would be good if that’s your thing. Just not my thing. I’d enjoy a bite or two, then wish it wasn’t in the rest. Interestingly, I saw Eric from Two Guys and a Cooler has a recipe for these too. He uses bleu.

I’ve also wondered if some powdered ranch wouldn’t be good in there. I’d bet it would.

Sometimes I add more red pepper flakes, but my wife says they’re hot enough for her as the recipe is above.

I think what really makes this for me(besides the spicy bite) is the butter flavor and the touch of celery. It’s a very tasty sausage.

Jbo

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky