Hot Sauce Recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Cheech,here is one I tried this year and the flavor was great.I didnt make it too hot but you can adjust that by adding more peppers.

RED HOT SAUCE

2 qrts. peeled,cored,chopped,red ripe tomatoes
1 1/2 cups chopped,seeded,hot peppers of your choice
2 cups vinegar
1 cup sugar,white or brown
1 Tbs. salt
2 Tbs mixed pickling spices
2 cups vinegar

Combine tomatoes peppers and 2 cups of vinegar:cook until tomatoes are soft.Press thriugh a sieve or food mill.Add sugar and salt.Tie spices in a cheescloth bag and add to tomato mixture.Cook about 30 minutes or until thick.As mixture thickens stir frequently to prevent sticking.Add remaining 2 cups of vinegar.Cook until thick as wanted.Pour boiling hot into 1/2 pint jars leaving 1/4 inch head space.Jars will seal,if not precess in boiling water bath for 30 minutes and remove jars.Yield eight 1/2 pints.

I let mine simmer for eight houre to drive in the flavor.It is great I eat it on most anything.

dacdots,

Thanks I am going to give this a try.

Any thought to whether this must age or not? Basically does it improve with age or not enought to make a difference.

I didnt wait to start using it Cheech but Im sure the spices will continue to blend with the tomato sauce as it sits.

Crazyhorse,I waited so long in the season to make the hot sauce that all I could find was dried peppers.Now Ill tell you this sauce I made werent too hot so you adjust the heat anyway you like.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky