Hot sauce 2021

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hillbillyrkstr

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 11, 2013
Well it’s been a few years since I posted a hot sauce thread. We haven’t stopped making them, and we’ve consistently developed new flavors yearly. Figured I’d share this years Batch.

We have 4 sauces this year. The first is a consistent favorite. Peach Habo. I usually switch yearly from mango to peach, and back and it’s become a favorite yearly by those I give it to. And yes we give all of them away yearly with the small exception of the ones we auction at the local chili cook off for charity. My label guy asked me a few years ago “if I’m charging you this for labels, what Do you have into each bottle?”. He told me we could make some money with it. Lol. Truth is I’ve never added it up. Labor of love. Never charged anyone for a bottle.

So here’s the Peach Habo in the pot:

68190373-19B9-4381-B499-2155D9C630FC.jpeg

Peaches, dozens of habos, onions, garlic, pepper corns, bell peppers, etc….

Here it is in the blender:

E44A9227-F863-4136-921E-4FCBFA44A7DD.png

This sauce has a great flavor and a mild/medium heat. You can really taste the peach or mango with a heat that doesn’t burn your face off. I think that’s why it’s the favorite we’ve ever made.

The next sauce I went really out there. I love the taste of jalapeños and I know they don’t have a lot of heat. A lot of my hot sauce fans feed this stuff to kids. So I wanted a really mild sauce with a very different flavor.

Jalapeño Kiwi:

4F859B2D-1C0B-42F6-8934-BEF96C1FE30F.jpeg

This is off the wall I know. And it’s tough to call it hot sauce with almost no burn. But I promise the flavor it good. I bet it’s great on fish. Can’t wait to try it.

Another shot of the jap/kiwi cooking down:
40D84A51-7C35-4FDC-94FE-D98F0E00111F.jpeg

The third sauce is also off the wall for me. I’m use to working with hot peppers, oranges, mangos, cherries, and peaches the last 5 years or so. I took the path less traveled this year. Just wanted to try different things.

Blueberry Ghost:

B0BA636D-5CBF-4FE9-BCA5-7E602129A18D.jpeg

EC97B09B-B077-438F-89B6-28F77CBE8B97.jpeg

Two shots of it cooking down.

I added a ton of blueberries. Be carful if you try this one the skins separate and sink. They want to burn to the bottom of the pot. It’s really a big pain.

Sauce is blueberries, onions, garlic, habos, ghosts, and bell peppers. It has a great fruit flavor with after heat. But the heat isn’t killer if you like spicy stuff. The name ghost scares people but I’ve done this long enough to know how to tame it.

The last sauce Is something I’ve been asked for yearly by the hot fanatics I know. It’s been a while so I decided to make a sauce that’s more or less uneatable. Years ago I did a real small batch sauce. It only produced like 4-5 bottles. Few bell peppers, onions, garlic, and 13 ghost peppers outta the garden. I named it 13 ghosts. It was hot. But I still had some of my buddies who were not impressed.

Making hot sauce that kills people isn’t my thing. I like to make hot sauce with the hottest peppers and mix them with fruit and make them taste good. I decided this was the year that I’d accept that challenge.

Wonder Dog Ranch brought our newest pup home last December right before Christmas. Immediately she started to destroy stuff. Typical lab…

Here’s the hottest sauce we’ve ever made. We decided to name it Sam The Destroyer:

3931855A-B59C-4765-80B3-097E68BC70BD.jpeg

Here it is in the pot. This sauce killed the whole house. My wife was not happy. Couldn’t breath in the house for hours.

This sauce was cooked with serranos, red & green jalapeños, thai chili’s, sriracha peppers, ghost, scorpion, habaneros, onions, and garlic.

After the sauce was cooked down I added dehydrated ghost, scorpion, and reaper peppers to it.

54AD87F5-EE8F-42BB-8DF9-666A4F35A05B.jpeg

Here’s the unholy trinity ground up. Grinding these and cooking this sauce in the house is a bad idea. I’ve made this mistake before but it was raining and the barn was a far walk. Lol.

This sauce is the only sauce I didn’t constantly try after adding vinegar and water to the blender during the mixing process. I tried it three times and it wasn’t awesome. Thickest sauce I’ve ever made. I’m assuming that’s due to the ground up powders.

2C462E29-A0AE-4DE3-BFC8-88D6AF968F48.jpeg

THICK! HOT! NOT GOOD TIMES.

4BD21E01-43C0-4B7C-A806-3EA304248EB6.jpeg

Here the original 3 for this year. All great flavors, two of them new. Label is a silhouette of Hooper the Wonder Dog jumping off a dock up north. It’s been our logo for years in one form or another.

Here’s Sam the Destroyer:
3B1AE020-131D-45AB-9B01-16D2DB24E1B3.jpeg

I designed this logo with Sammy jumping away from a nuke. She was about 6 months old here. She was jumping into a pond while training to duck hunt. I think it does it justice.

0F227CB0-3FA2-4414-B749-EACEB3DF8A38.jpeg

Here’s the original pic of Sam the Destroyer from earlier this summer. She has a lot of promise as a waterfowl retrieving dog.

52237987-E05C-4A5D-834B-1EAC3BE8A6AB.jpeg

Here’s Ol’ Hoop the original Wonder Dog and logo for the ranch. She’s up there now at almost 9 year old. Three torn acls to boot. Hoops been the greatest dog ever. True leader. Great duck dog, better friend!

9C91C0F0-9C4E-44AD-9A3F-E9E8EE9B8A51.jpeg

And here’s Super Champion Scout. She’s made hot sauce labels before but this year she’s on the maple syrup and hot pickle labels. Ol Scout has traveled the country with me I pursuit of waterfowl. She’s about to be 7 and she’s been to arkansas 3 times, the northern Atlantic in Maine, and we’re about to head to Louisiana in January.

We work these dogs hard at the ranch. Don’t get me wrong they live great lives but they train hard, and work hard. That’s why I believe they deserve the labels on everything we do that’s homemade at the ranch. They’ve earned it.

To my point they live great lives:

3A8789AF-25F6-4D90-81ED-C0DD76C6D6E5.jpeg

Ol Hoop crashed tonight on the couch.

3C5AD643-298C-4B79-9DE4-8C1A17EB66FA.jpeg

Scout crashed on the couch last night while I was watching UFC.

9B8197DB-7978-4189-8C0C-87E4C7DB8EBE.jpeg

Sammy the Destroyer asleep on the couch and not destroying stuff.

Well that’s about it for this year. Showed the sauce, showed off the dogs. That’s a good day.

Thanks for looking,
Scott

Last edited:
Good looking doggos. Better looking sauce. Peach one does sound amazing. Bet it would be good on fresh halibut.

That peach looks to be the one. You ever try raspberry habanero? I used to buy it but the only one I ever found isn't made anymore.

Them some good looking puppies!!

Last edited:
Great thread . Nice work on everything .
I'm getting a good crop of jalapenos this year . Need something to do with them .

Very unique sauces there. The peach one really got my attention. I bet it is amazing!

The peach is popular every year. People always ask about it. Usually make more of it than the other ones for that reason.

Good looking doggos. Better looking sauce. Peach one does sound amazing. Bet it would be good on fresh halibut.

The peach is great on fish, chicken, and pork. Haven’t tried it on halibut but I bet it would be great.

Scott

That peach looks to be the one. You ever try raspberry habanero? I used to buy it but the only one I ever found isn't made anymore.

Them some good looking puppies!!

I haven’t tried raspberries yet. The wife and I talked about it for next year. Sounds pretty good.

Scott

Great job on souses, Scott! :emoji_thumbsup:Peach and kiwi sounds interesting and the ones I would try.... Sam The Destroyer would be a little to much for me.... :emoji_laughing:

Sam the Destroyer is intense. It’s not for me either. Lol!

Great thread . Nice work on everything .
I'm getting a good crop of jalapenos this year . Need something to do with them .

Jalapeño and garlic sauce is great! I’ve made it in the past and it’s great. Add a few habaneros to add a little more heat.

Scott

Wow....the sauces sound great but overall, that was an outstanding post. Just really cool stuff that I totally enjoyed reading. Thanks for sharing.

Robert

Reactions: hillbillyrkstr
Like your dogs. I'm definitely going to have to try mixing fruit with my ghost peppers, what I have now is too hot. How long will this keep in the refrigerator.

Wow....the sauces sound great but overall, that was an outstanding post. Just really cool stuff that I totally enjoyed reading. Thanks for sharing.

Robert
Thanks Robert, I appreciate that. Not a lot better than homemade stuff and dogs to me!

Scott

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky