Hot Pickled Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Got some Andouille out to hot pickle.

df88a8a9_DSC00632.jpg

Easy recipe.

White vinegar

your fav hot sauce

scallions

onions

garlic

Just put everything in the jar.

f1ec3127_DSC00634.jpg

Pour in the hot sauce and vinegar, Seal and shake well.

7b0a0e5b_DSC00635.jpg

Also did some goose sticks. De cased before pickling.

c4d99e2e_DSC00636.jpg

103bda6c_DSC00637.jpg

Got 2 jars of hot pickled andouille, 1 jar goose sticks and the rest of the onions.

d95fefce_DSC00638.jpg

Now in the fridge for a few days or until my neighbor asks me for some.

Looks good. I assume you link those to just the right size for the jar. My question is, would it matter if the sausage was cut to length then pickled?

Looks good. I assume you link those to just the right size for the jar. My question is, would it matter if the sausage was cut to length then pickled?

Normally i just use butcher twine and tie into lengths (way easier than linking)  If you make like a rope sausage after smoking you can cut to length and then pickle. I have even split the sausage in half and pickled.

looks good from here........... I'll have to try that...less the goose sticks...
icon_rolleyes.gif

Always wanted to try pickling, I luvvvv them pickled kielbasa from the big box grocers, I seem to eat a jar of them and a small jar of pickled eggs and U know what happens that night and especially the next day, some good personal time, if I had a stash ready at hand, I'd be divorced and probs the dogs would leave Me, ..........so I'm doing it for the doggies, once again nepas, great work......

Always wanted to try pickling, I luvvvv them pickled kielbasa from the big box grocers, I seem to eat a jar of them and a small jar of pickled eggs and U know what happens that night and especially the next day, some good personal time, if I had a stash ready at hand, I'd be divorced and probs the dogs would leave Me, ..........so I'm doing it for the doggies, once again nepas, great work......
Thanks SKULLY

I did do some eggs also.

e98bb0f5_DSCF7509.jpg

Looks great Nepas!!  I need to try your recipe.. The last ones I made just used pickled juice from pickled jalapenos.... I like the idea of being able to adjust your heat by adding as little or as much hot sauce as you like. Thanks!!

Nepas,

That all looks great as usual!

Probably about 5000 % better than the hot bologna they sell in bars in PA, and I even used to buy them!!!

Thanks,

Bear

Great job Napas, I have not even got into sausage making yet, just 1 more thing I have to learn to do.

Thanks

This recipe is for pickled sausage and eggs combined. However you can do just eggs or sausage.

My recipe i use for the eggs and sausage is pretty simple. It will pickle around 2 lbs of sausage and 20-30 hard boiled eggs.

You can adjust the recipe for the amount of eggs.

You will need 4-5 wide mouth mason jars with lids and rings. Mason has new plastic lids now to.

2 lbs your fav sausage. You can cut into lengths just shy of the mason jar  top or cut into smaller lengths.

20-30 hard boiled peeled eggs

1 onion or more if you like

4-5 tsp red pepper flakes or more if you want to kick it up

Brine

1/2 cup brown sugar

2 Tbs mustard seeds

1 Tbs fennel seed

1 Tbs coriander seed

1 Tbs kosher salt

4 cups cider vinegar

2 cups white (clear) vinegar

1 cup water

4 whole bay leaves

4-5 whole star anise (1 per jar)

Mix the brine ingredients in a large stock pot. Bring to a boil to dissolve the sugar and salt. Remove from heat and let cool. Layer the sausage, eggs and onions in the jar and top with the brine and add 1 tsp red pepper flakes per jar. Add any of the remaining spices to each of the jars and make sure each jar gets 1 star anise. Let fridge rest at least 2 days.

Keeps for about a month refrigerated.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky