Hot Italian sausage.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Morning all. Last night I got the pork butt out of the fridge that I thawed out. It was one of the biggest I've seen. It was just shy of
13 pounds. Deboned and cubed. I ended up with a touch over 11.5 pounds. I measured out 10 pounds for the sausage. The rest I'll keep for another recipe.
Then mixed in the 68 grams of salt and 2 tbs sugar. And let it rest over night.
This morning I ground it through a fine plate. Then added:
2 tbs pepper
4 tsp ground coriander
4 tbs smoked paprika
4 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tbs dried oregano
2 tbs fresh minced garlic
2 tbs fennel seeds
Mixed it up a bit.
Then in a 1 cup ice water I added 2 tsp cure
1/2 cup red wine.
Mixed until it got good and tacky.
I then took a glob and cooked it for texture and flavor.

PA311288.jpg

Looks great. The texture and flavor is dead on.

PA311289.jpg

I had to restrain myself from making another "test" patty!

PA311290.jpg

I made 5 pounds of links. The rest I divided into 8 oz portions and vacuum sealed. The sausage are racked in the fridge until I smoke them.
I usually use hot paprika. But was out. And couldn't find any. Which is why I used smoked paprika and red pepper flakes.

PA311291.jpg

And I used this instead of regular red wine. I think the changes actually improved the flavor.

Last edited:
Yummm! That's some fine looking sausage Steve. Nice work. I may have to try the recipe.

Wow Steve!! That's a great looking batch of sausage. We go through a bunch of spicy Italian sausage around here and I'm always looking for a new recipe to try, although the one I've been making for a long time now is really good. Gonna print this and compare to mine. Might use yours straight up or possibly derive a hybrid recipe combining the two. Thanks for sharing!!

Robert

looks good steve! I know what ya mean about the test patties...kinda cuts into the supply!

Ryan

Reactions: Steve H
Just curious Steve, are you planning to smoke the links or freeze them? I'm only asking because as I was stealing your recipe I noticed that you have cure in it.

Robert

Just curious Steve, are you planning to smoke the links or freeze them? I'm only asking because as I was stealing your recipe I noticed that you have cure in it.

Robert
Yes, I'm curious to cuz for 11.5 lbs of meat, salt amount of 68 grams seems a bit to low at 1.2%... are you freezing them or you're planing to cure and make charcuterie sausages...?

Reactions: zwiller
Beautiful batch of sausage Steve, now you've go me thinking about breakfast, big Like. Looks as tho some are headed for the smoker too. I always put cab and garlic in my Italian sausage, provides a distinct flavor they we enjoy. Nice piece of work. RAY

Yes, I'm curious to cuz for 11.5 lbs of meat, salt amount of 68 grams seems a bit to low at 1.2%... are you freezing them or you're planing to cure and make charcuterie sausages...?
It was only 10 pounds of meat. The rest I froze plain.

I see the confusion which I caused. I meant to say they're racked until I smoke them. Not until tomorrow.
20201031_105049_HDR.jpg

I wanted them to bloom a bit before they went into the smoker. They are in now. Sorry about that!

Robert
Yup, they are smoking now.

Nice! A different recipe than most Italian Sausage. Has some interesting additions...JJ

Looks great Steve, I been meaning to smoke some Italian for a while, but haven't got around to it. I'm looking forward to what you think of yours.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky