• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

hot&fast beef ribs

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

mh4tula

Newbie
Joined
Jul 18, 2026
Messages
5
Reaction score
23
Last weekend I decided to cook beef ribs, these are my first ribs. I bought a piece of about 2 kg, when I opened it it was definitely fatty and I had to cut a lot, but the marbling was good!
I used 2 teaspoons of coarse salt, 1 teaspoon of crushed pepper, and 1.5 teaspoons of dried garlic. They lasted about 2 hours in the refrigerator! I cooked them in a homemade smoker for 1.5 hours at 75-100 degrees, sprinkling them with apple juice and vinegar sauce every 20 minutes. Then I cooked them at 150 degrees for 1.5 hours. Then I wrapped them in two layers of foil and cooked them for about 1 hour until the internal temperature reached 93-95 degrees.
I wasn't impressed with the results. I think it was due to the very fatty cut or the wrong temperature setting. By the way, could you tell me how to properly calibrate the Inkbird 26s thermometer? I'll keep trying.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6653.png
    IMG_6653.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6654.png
    IMG_6654.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6655.png
    IMG_6655.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6656.png
    IMG_6656.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6606.jpeg
    IMG_6606.jpeg
    309.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6589.jpeg
    IMG_6589.jpeg
    497 KB · Views: 4
  • camphoto_351212254.jpeg
    camphoto_351212254.jpeg
    548.3 KB · Views: 6
  • camphoto_1144747756.jpeg
    camphoto_1144747756.jpeg
    790.4 KB · Views: 6
Hi ,
Trust me I am no expert at all, BUT

I think your temps are too low for some safe cooking

As a rule of thumb ----- " so you now have to get the entire piece of meat from 40°-140° in 4 hrs. or less. That is why a lot of people do not put the probe in untill the meat has been on the smoker for 4 hrs. "

This is just me and what I have read, and been told. Maybe your meat was safe but you also probed it .

Now I think maybe you did not cook it in high enough heat and not long enough either.

EDIT : mh4tula, if this is all in metric I apologize, you would think I would know that coming from a Canadian, sorry for the confusion. David

About your Inkbird, check on their web site on how to properly calibrate, why do you think it is off.

David
 
Last edited:
Hi ,
Trust me I am no expert at all, BUT

I think your temps are too low for some safe cooking

As a rule of thumb ----- " so you now have to get the entire piece of meat from 40°-140° in 4 hrs. or less. That is why a lot of people do not put the probe in untill the meat has been on the smoker for 4 hrs. "

This is just me and what I have read, and been told. Maybe your meat was safe but you also probed it .

Now I think maybe you did not cook it in high enough heat and not long enough either.

About your Inkbird, check on their web site on how to properly calibrate, why do you think it is off.

David
I think we are talking Celsius rather than Fahrenheit here…
 
I think we are talking Celsius rather than Fahrenheit here…

Thanks

I was wondering that , and I think you might be right .
You would think I would have caught that where I am in the wonderful land of Metric .

I will edit my above message. lol

David
 
Thanks

I was wondering that , and I think you might be right .
You would think I would have caught that where I am in the wonderful land of Metric .

I will edit my above message. lol

David
I used to live up there too, but never really got on to the metric system lol!
 
I used to live up there too, but never really got on to the metric system lol!

Me also, I bounce back and forth, depends on what I am doing.

As a carpenter, I hate it . Always using inches and feet unless I am doing a large comercial job, they are always in metric...... :emoji_confused: :emoji_confused:

David
 
Last weekend I decided to cook beef ribs, these are my first ribs. I bought a piece of about 2 kg, when I opened it it was definitely fatty and I had to cut a lot, but the marbling was good!
I used 2 teaspoons of coarse salt, 1 teaspoon of crushed pepper, and 1.5 teaspoons of dried garlic. They lasted about 2 hours in the refrigerator! I cooked them in a homemade smoker for 1.5 hours at 75-100 degrees, sprinkling them with apple juice and vinegar sauce every 20 minutes. Then I cooked them at 150 degrees for 1.5 hours. Then I wrapped them in two layers of foil and cooked them for about 1 hour until the internal temperature reached 93-95 degrees.
I wasn't impressed with the results. I think it was due to the very fatty cut or the wrong temperature setting. By the way, could you tell me how to properly calibrate the Inkbird 26s thermometer? I'll keep trying.
I think your internal temperature is maybe a little low, check out this thread I posted awhile ago, there is some very helpful info on there from other more experienced folks…
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/my-first-attempt-at-smoked-beef-ribs.335513/
 
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Back
Top
Clicky