Hot Bacon Dressing (Pennsylvania Dutch)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
i " enchoyed" that! Really an inside joke of sorts, with typical dry PA Dutch humor. I don't know if you've ever heard any of the Professor Schnitzel bits back in the 1950's-60's, but my grandparents loved listening to him on the radio, at the Kutztown Folk Festival, and I think they must have had records of his. He was a PA Dutch standup comedian, if you can believe there ever was such a thing, and that joke sounds like something he'd come up with.
Yup---My Parents used to listen to Prof' Schnitzel too, and we used to get to the Kutztown Festival every year. Kutztown is only about 1/2 hour from here.

I only know a few Dutch words, but my Grandparents spoke Dutch a lot, and my Dad could speak it good enough to go to "Grundsow" meetings, where they weren't allowed to speak anything but PA Dutch. And Mrs Bear's Dad used to teach PA Dutch in Night School at Quakertown High School.

Later,

Bear

Reactions: gary s

Looks and sounds great.... My son in law will love you...... Thx. For posting this Bear it is definitely saved and we are going to make this..... 
points1.png
Thank You AB !!!

You'll love it too.

And Thanks for the Points!

Bear

Nice

My folks used to make wilted lettuce with hot bacon dressing several times each summer as we picked greens from the garden.

Slightly different than this recipe tho as it had no egg in it. 

Hey John. I just found this thanks to Gary's new post.

This looks absolutely delicious. I'll be trying it very soon.

Thank you!!

Gary
Thank You Gary!!

You'll love it---My Brother, Sisters, and I were Practically weaned on this Hot Bacon Dressing.

Then I married Mrs Bear in 1968, and it turns out her Mother used the exact same Recipe!!!

And Thanks for the Points.

Bear

Despite the fact that my parents grew up just twenty miles from where you live, I have zero connection to my PA Dutch heretige. My mother's mother didn't cook well at all and my mother never learned to cook. My parents left PA shortly after I was born, so I never encountered much PA Dutch food other than soft pretzels, shoo fly pie, and scrapple.

I willl make this recipe tomorrow while I'm doing my test cooks for Mothers Day.

Last edited:
Despite the fact that my parents grew up just twenty miles from where you live, I have zero connection to my PA Dutch heretige. My mother's mother didn't cook well at all and my mother never learned to cook. My parents left PA shortly after I was born, so I never encountered much PA Dutch food other than soft pretzels, shoo fly pie, and scrapple.

I willl make this recipe tomorrow while I'm doing my test cooks for Mothers Day.
LOL---My Mother wasn't much of a Cook either, but my Grandmother on my Dad's side was a Great Cook!! Her maiden name was Ziegenfuss.(Doesn't get more Dutch than that)

As for the PA Dutch part, Both my Dad and my Grandpop were members of the "Grundsow" lodge, and my FIL used to teach Pennsylvania Dutch in Night School at Quakertown High School, and was also a Grundsow member.

Bear

Ok, I finally tried it. I tasted it hot and thought eehhh...so-so. Wife finally got home from work and we had dinner. Dressing was still a little  more than room temp, not bad but I'm thinking I'm not going thru all that for just not bad. Then today I try it again, This time cold from the fridge. Call me weird, but I like it best from the fridge and heck yeah I'll do it again.

I hate to do it, but I.m gonna have to know. Got an urge to dress it up. I know it will morph into something else entirely but I gotta know where this can go. I'm thinking just a little minced bell pepper, maybe some grated onion and a smidge of crushed red pepper flake.

Yeah, sometimes I just don't know when to leave well enough alone.

BTW, I used 8 strips of store bought bacon. Awesome !!

Ok, I finally tried it. I tasted it hot and thought eehhh...so-so. Wife finally got home from work and we had dinner. Dressing was still a little  more than room temp, not bad but I'm thinking I'm not going thru all that for just not bad. Then today I try it again, This time cold from the fridge. Call me weird, but I like it best from the fridge and heck yeah I'll do it again.

I hate to do it, but I.m gonna have to know. Got an urge to dress it up. I know it will morph into something else entirely but I gotta know where this can go. I'm thinking just a little minced bell pepper, maybe some grated onion and a smidge of crushed red pepper flake.

Yeah, sometimes I just don't know when to leave well enough alone.

BTW, I used 8 strips of store bought bacon. Awesome !!
That really is weird !!

I don't like it at all cold, and the Hotter the Better.

As for adding other things to it, I'm not one that would do that kind of thing to most things, but I'm sure many would like that.

The big thing is ---The more Bacon the Better it is, like with most things.
drool.gif

Thanks for your comments!

Bear

Last edited:
BOOKMARKED. NEver saw this before. I grew up on something like this but parents made it each meal instead of a batch like this. That is friggin genius! I think my parents used some onion in theirs and used chicken stock instead of water but otherwise the same. Yep, known as "wilted salad" here too. 99% of the time they used spinach and would add some chopped hard boiled egg. Not a huge egg on salad guy but it ROCKED on this. Ate it once a week when I lived at home. Thanks for sharing!

Yep, known as "wilted salad" here too.
My Mom made something for my Dad they called " wilted lettuce "
I think it was bacon , vinegar and lettuce wilted down in that . Maybe sliced hard boiled eggs at the end . They added some sugar to it too .

Reactions: zwiller
Never saw this thread before, might have to try it. I know when my mother made goulash I would pour that hot over the salad and it was good. We are German, not penn dutch but Bear my mothers given name is Maxamillianna Schlosser, she changed it to Lillian after HS...lol

My Mom made something for my Dad they called " wilted lettuce "

My parents are bat s*** for it. I think if give my parents this recipe they will eat it every day! :emoji_laughing:

Never saw this thread before, might have to try it. I know when my mother made goulash I would pour that hot over the salad and it was good. We are German, not penn dutch but Bear my mothers given name is Maxamillianna Schlosser, she changed it to Lillian after HS...lol
Interesting! Whenever we ate goulash we ALWAYS had salad with celery seed dressing, ALWAYS. Our school serves it that way too. Something going on there...

My parents are bat s*** for it. I think if give my parents this recipe they will eat it every day! :emoji_laughing:

Interesting! Whenever we ate goulash we ALWAYS had salad with celery seed dressing, ALWAYS. Our school serves it that way too. Something going on there...
Usually my mom makes a vinegar type dressing kind of like what she uses when she makes German potato salad. The first time I ever ate American potato salad was after I got married.

Oh man, LOVE german potato salad. My family never made it. Agree, the sauce is about the same as here. I have a number of cookbooks with it and tried it but was not happy. Best I've had was a friends and she has promised me the recipe but always fails to deliver the goods (and she knows it) LOL.

My mom used almost the exact recipe!

My dad loved endive mixed in mashed potatoes with this dressing sprinkled on top.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky