Hot and sour soup.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
And here is the plated shoot. Really like this soup!

P2260648.jpg
P2260648.jpg

Reactions: xray
Yum. Love most soups and that ranks way up the list.
Yes sir. Maybe once every two months, we’ll order Chinese or pick up sushi from Wegmans.

A large quart of hot and sour soup and an order of crab rangoon if you’re headed this way...and don’t forget my fortune cookie!
Don't let them bust your chops. I get my fix when we eat Asian Buffet or takeout, too.
Wife does not like any cooked mushrooms. I don't like re-heated H&S.
Making it at home just doesn't work.

Looks good. Hot and Sour soup is my Go To fav. In restaurants one of the main flavoring is White Pepper. It contributes to the Hot sensation along with Red Chile Oil or Sriacha. I like the Shroom selection you used. Try adding the traditional Black Wood Earth Fungus too. A now uncommon ingredient outside of restaurants with a large Chinese clientele is, Dry Lily Buds. Adds a subtle flavor with a tender-crisp texture. Hard to find in small Asian markets but available online. Just a couple of additions you might enjoy. Thanks for posting...JJ

Looks good. Hot and Sour soup is my Go To fav. In restaurants one of the main flavoring is White Pepper. It contributes to the Hot sensation along with Red Chile Oil or Sriacha. I like the Shroom selection you used. Try adding the traditional Black Wood Earth Fungus too. A now uncommon ingredient outside of restaurants with a large Chinese clientele is, Dry Lily Buds. Adds a subtle flavor with a tender-crisp texture. Hard to find in small Asian markets but available online. Just a couple of additions you might enjoy. Thanks for posting...JJ

Thanks for the ideas Jimmy. I haven't seen dry lily buds before. But have used Black wood and Oyster mushrooms before.

Interesting read. Thank you. I'm going to add them the next time I make this.

Can I ask when do you add the eggs? Whenever I add the eggs that have been beaten (a lot) I want them to be thin like egg drop soup. But everytime I add them they almost turn to scrambled. Definitely want to try this recipe...pork and shrooms...how can you go wrong??? Love it!

Can I ask when do you add the eggs? Whenever I add the eggs that have been beaten (a lot) I want them to be thin like egg drop soup. But everytime I add them they almost turn to scrambled. Definitely want to try this recipe...pork and shrooms...how can you go wrong??? Love it!

Second to last thing you do. Look at my recipe. The trick to adding the beaten eggs is to add them at a slow, fine drizzle while stirring constantly. If not. You'll get clumps of eggs.

It would be heart warming to sit down to a bowl of that soup on a cold day, big Like! RAY

Dang, Buddy My very favorite Soup your looks outstanding saving your recipe

Gary

My Dad taught me to add the eggs After thickening with the starch. Stirring in one direction, while pouring slowly and continuously, gives thin ribbons rather than microscopic flecks of egg.
A note...To maintain quality, it's better to eat 2 Small bowls rather than one large bowl. The enzyme Amylase, found in Saliva, breaks Starch molecules into Simple Sugars. After a few spoonfuls of the starch thickened soup, your saliva will breakdown the starch and the remaing bowl of soup will get thin and watery. Use separate spoons to taste from the pot and adjust seasoning...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky