Horseradish sausage update

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokininthegarden

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 14, 2018
Rocky mountians
55124223-EE52-4556-B242-9E5C4C9BA20B.jpeg
Sorry this took so long I have been very busy with yard, work fencing, etc. anyways, here is my version of this recipe and my thoughts on how it turned out. First photo, right after stuffing. And ready for 12 hours in the sauna.

FA0DD8E9-4419-4349-A981-5EDD2EB49D9B.jpeg

Next on the way to the smoker. I think I need to mow my lawn.
And then the finished product.
E3832978-0B84-4333-8160-4358A323C947.jpeg

To start I have to say I am having problems with this sausage already, why? I can’t stop eating it. It turned out much better than I ever expected. First bite gives you the slight tang from the fermentation, then the spices start to reveal themselves, followed by the bite of the horseradish. Probably the best summer sausage I have ever made. Obviously it will require some tweaks, I used powdered horseradish in this batch, but I want to try fresh grated horseradish in the next batch, just to see if it makes a difference. Final conclusion, this one is a keeper, if anyone is interested I can post the recipe I used.

Attachments

• 11A59F72-7E09-4EEA-9015-6A343A21B924.jpeg
    11A59F72-7E09-4EEA-9015-6A343A21B924.jpeg
    367.8 KB · Views: 19
  • B0AE24B2-8322-489E-99EC-CDAA03134DB1.jpeg
    B0AE24B2-8322-489E-99EC-CDAA03134DB1.jpeg
    367.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
O.K here we go. I need to start out by saying this was my very first attempt at
this so I had no idea how much horseradish powder to add, I didn’t want to totally
overpower the sausage so I started light. The recipe as written gives a slight hint
of horseradish, if you want more, well add more, I won’t be offended:) My next attempt
at this will use fresh ground horseradish as you can see by the notes written to the side of the recipe.
And some NFDM, somehow when the recipe got recopied I omitted that ingredient.

Anyways if interested give it a try. The fermentation step is optional if you are not setup
to do that but makes a huge difference in the overall flavor of the sausage.

Also for anyone keeping track I used bactofirm LHP for this.

Cal
0B831E34-B640-4C83-B1C6-C4242C82508B.jpeg

Last edited:
fullborebbq
Sorry about that, most of my recipes are written for myself so I don’t expect
anyone else to need to understand them. Anyways, the starter mixture is the
note in the box, 1/8 tsp of bactofirm LHP mixed with 2 tbl of distilled water
and a pinch of dextrose. Add mixture to the sausage and mix again very well just before stuffing.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Cal

Reactions: fullborebbq
fullborebbq
Sorry about that, most of my recipes are written for myself so I don’t expect
anyone else to need to understand them. Anyways, the starter mixture is the
note in the box, 1/8 tsp of bactofirm LHP mixed with 2 tbl of distilled water
and a pinch of dextrose. Add mixture to the sausage and mix again very well just before stuffing.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Cal
Thank you!!

Hi. I'm back! Followed your recipe and made small 3lbs.batch on the weekend using prepared horseradish. It's all I had on hand. I LIKE it! Only thing is I was conservative with the horseradish and it's a bit mild. Hard to detect it. So another batch is in order. Lol! Thanks again for the recipe.

Hi checkdude.
I just made another batch of this myself, this time I used fresh grated
horseradish. I had to search every grocery store in town to find real
horseradish root but I finally did. I agree with you about detecting
the horseradish, its there, but it sort of blends in with spices so much
you can only taste it in the background. Next time i’m going to double
the amount and see where that goes.

Cal

How much of the fresh did you end up using? I was being careful not to use too much as you can always put a dab of horseradish on your bread or crackers to boost the flavor.

I ended up with 6 oz of it for a 5# batch, I wanted more but by the time you
peel this stuff there isn’t much left. Next time I’ll get two large roots.
BTW, you will wish you had a gas mask when grating this stuff. Makes
chopping onions seem like child’s play.

There are a few other things I want to change for the next go around , I’ll report back.

Cal

Looking at this I wonder if I can do it as a pink salt 1 recipe?

Any input because it looks like some thing I could really get into.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky