Horseradish sausage update

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looking at this I wonder if I can do it as a pink salt 1 recipe?

Any input because it looks like some thing I could really get into.
That's what he's doing . Just using a starter culter to ferment first . Then smoked / cooked .

I've used horseradish in a beef sausage before with good results, but ya got to remember when you cook horseradish it loses its original flavor and pungency, but does leave a nice earthy flavor.
Nice looking recipe, and product Cal.

Hi danmcg
Yes that has been my experience throughout this experiment. The horseradish
is there but it is very subtle, more in the background. All in all it makes for a very nice flavored sausage especially with the short fermentation, I understand
not everyone is setup to do fermentation and I’m sure it would work well without it but if you can swing it, it does make for a great tasting sausage.

Cal

I've used horseradish in a beef sausage before with good results, but ya got to remember when you cook horseradish it loses its original flavor and pungency, but does leave a nice earthy flavor.
Nice looking recipe, and product Cal.

Thank you, I've been biting my tongue hoping someone would confirm my experience. I honestly didn't know if I did something wrong or what. Heck I don't even remember what I cooked but I recall the horseradish lost nearly all it's zip. Much like using mustard to hold rub on a pork butt. When it's done it don't taste like the mustard you smeared on.

I looked for high temp horseradish cheese but came up empty handed. I did send an email question about it to butcher-packer.com, I’ll let you know what the response is!
I just thought it might be another option.

Thought I'd drop a line and say I plan to do this today..though my change is I have a bit over 5 pounds of beef and pork, so I won't cut in fat.

Reactions: Plinsc
Hi Tom, good luck and please report back with your results. I plan on trying
this again soon, I’m starting to think powdered horseradish might be the way to go. Just need to try it and see.

Cal

Reactions: Plinsc
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky