Horizon offset smoker, should I go for it?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kgb1

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 24, 2013
Redwood City, CA
I have my eye on the Horizon 24” RD Special Marshal smoker. I’m about to pull the trigger and order it. However it’s going to cost $850 to ship it from Oklahoma to my home in Redwood City, CA (just south of San Francisco). It could still fit within my budget, but thought I should at least ask if folks know of an equivalent smoker maker closer to San Francisco to reduce shipping costs. I want a direct flow stick burning offset. Not reverse flow. With the capacity of 24” x 48”. And I’m trying to keep the smoker price to $3,000 - $3,500. Thoughts?

Reactions: sawhorseray
Several of us on here have smokers that are those dimensions for around a thousand bucks. Shipping is an issue, but you would be way under your budget for a good, quality smoker. Bell Fab outside of Tulsa.

But that said, I have never heard bad things about the Horizons.

Whoa, I lived in Redwood City for 42 years, went to Roy Cloud grade school and lived up in Farm Hills until 20 years ago, also had a place in Emerald Hills. Price of everything smoker-wise has gone up 20-25% the last few months. Make a move now, can't go wrong. RAY

Reactions: kgb1
Whoa, I lived in Redwood City for 42 years, went to Roy Cloud grade school and lived up in Farm Hills until 20 years ago, also had a place in Emerald Hills. Price of everything smoker-wise has gone up 20-25% the last few months. Make a move now, can't go wrong. RAY
Ray, I also grew up in Redwood City. Sequoia High School class of ‘87. Thanks for reply, I believe I’m ready to pull the trigger this weekend.

Ray, I also grew up in Redwood City. Sequoia High School class of ‘87. Thanks for reply, I believe I’m ready to pull the trigger this weekend.

My wife graduated Sequoia in 71, San Carlos for me in 69. It was a great place to grow up, fished HMB for 40 years out of my own boat. Politics, taxes, and traffic became brutal, we moved to AZ three years ago and love it here. I have a Meadow Creek SQ36 offset and three other smokers, stick burners make the best Q. RAY

Thank you to everyone for your responses, ideas, and suggestions. I went ahead and did it. I ordered the 24" RD Special Marshal directly from Horizon. Now I wait for it to be built.

Reactions: Mr. Zorg
Just saw this. I had the 20 inch Marshall shipped for $650. The 20 inch is plenty big here. Have done multiple briskets, 3 turkeys or 4 butts with room to spare.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky