Honey Pineapple Ribs w/QVIEW

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kanealmond

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Boone, NC
Hey all, doing my second cook on the new smoker today. Decided on some baby backs for the wife and I. I've been stuck on just doing Jeff's rub and that's all, for obvious reasons! I decided I would go for a different taste today. I always do a pineapple glaze on my hams, so figured why not do some pineapple ribs.

I removed the membrane and trimmed them up really nice. Then, I applied a light dusting of Uncle Yammy's Rib Rub mainly for some color. Let that sit in the fridge overnight.

I put them on about 1pm today. Using 2-2-1 method on these baby backs. We are not big fans of sloppy fall off the bone ribs. In the wrapped phase, I put a dash of soy sauce, drizzled with some good local honey, and poured in about 1/4 cup fresh pineapple juice. And, because I had a cold rum drink in my hand, I put a small dash of pineapple rum in the foil as well. Why not right?

Well, about 6pm they were reading about 195 which I find to be ideal for my liking. They had a nice bite and the flavor was amazing. Next time I will be more liberal with the rub, just to balance the sweet and savory, but all in all I was happy how they turned out. The high amount of sugar in the pineapple juice and the rum produced a bark like I've never had on ribs. Might not be able to duplicate it but at least I got to try it once!

It was about 100 degrees here in NC today, so keeping the temp up wasn't a hard task! My smoker was reading 180 inside after 30 minutes in the sun, and no fire in the box.

If you're looking for a way to switch it up a little, I would recommend giving this a try!

After a few hours in the fridge.

After 2 hours getting kissed by a mixture of apple and pecan wood.

I had read mixed reviews about the Dyna-Glo Vertical offset, but mine holds a good steady temp.

After 2 hours wrapped up with pineapple juice, soy sauce, honey, and pineapple coconut rum.

After 1 hour unwrapped.

KA, looks GREAT!  I don't wrap ribs but you've definitely given me some ideas for a new BBQ sauce to use on ribs based on your wrap liquids:  pineapple juice, soy sauce, honey, and pineapple coconut rum.  My wife would go CRAZY for that with pineapple and coconut in a sauce base.   

Thanks for the post!

Thats a great idea! You could make a killer sauce or glaze out of those ingredients. Sure was a different flavor profile on the ribs but we really enjoyed them.

Thats a great idea! You could make a killer sauce or glaze out of those ingredients. Sure was a different flavor profile on the ribs but we really enjoyed them.
I'm kind of bored with our current flavor profile.  I've got four untrimmed racks of spares in the freezer that I picked up a couple weeks ago.  Just wasn't inspired to smoke them, until today!  My wife is traveling this week so I'll test the new recipe out on one of the racks whiles she's gone. 

I took a recipe for Northern Alabama white sauce which I really didn't care for, took out the mayonnaise, added coconut milk (regular, not the low fat stuff), crushed pineapple, coconut rum, vinegar, honey, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and some spices.  Cook that up and I think it will be perty darn good!  Will keep you posted once I try it.  Thanks again for the inspiration! 

Last edited:
Kane that sounds great I am doing ribs this week so I will be saving this post. Thanks for sharing Points

Richie

points.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky