Honey Glazed Smoked Turkey with Apple Gravy q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sqwib

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 25, 2007
Philadelphia
This is a cliff notes version, for more info follow this link Link to: Honey Glazed Smoked Turkey with Apple Gravy

Spices and Slather

Drip pan for Apple Gravy

Bird mounted and ready to go 12.4 pounds, could not brine it was an enhanced bird, oh well.

Cherry wood, temps settled at about 250

Foiled Wings.

Foiled breast.

Removed foil and brushed with honey with about an hour to go.

Resting.

Concerns/Notes:
  • The turkey was really good, but did not wow me, It was very good but not as good as my "Keg Roasted Turkey". It had good flavor and was moist throughout, the dark meat however was excellent, the gravy needs work as well. In all fairness the turkey was 11 months old and was an enhanced bird so I did not have the option of brining. I will follow this up with a fresh bird next time.
  • This was a 12.4 lb bird and took almost 34 minutes per/lb at 230 - 240°F, I was at exactly 4 hours into the cook when I reached 140°F, next cook I will maintain 250- 260°F until it is out of the "danger zone", this was too close for comfort.
  • Gravy, I think next time I would saute or brown some of the ingredients before adding to the drip pan and use fresh diced apples in place of apple sauce.

Reactions: meateater
Thats a great looking bird there.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Thanks everyone

Just finished up the carved meat as a turkey salad sammie, Legs are gonna go tonight, don't like to go past 3 or 4 days with turkey.

What impressed me the most is how crisp the skin was, considering that the general consensus is, you can not get a crisp skin at low temps.

My only concern with low and slow for turkey is the Danger Zone, I am definitely making a note to do my Turkey's at 250 - 260 for now on.

Would like to do one on the smoker someday at 300 - 325 to see if there's much difference.

icon_cool.gif

Now your bird looks awesome to me and it sounds like the same with all the good folks here. Now could this be one of those we are just really harder on ourselves you know our own worst critics maybe........ 

Can someone help me find who posted the smoked turkey and had pan of celery,apples,onions,ect.  that he put in a blender and made gravy. Thank you Esther

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky