Homemade Vortex?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I've never used a vortex on my kettle to make wings. I've had mine for over 10 years and I can do some great wings.
I cook mine indirect then sear over direct. I do have hinged grates so I can add charcoal or wood chunks if I need to.
I may have to try making one and giving it a try one of these days.

I started trying to figure it out, but realized there had to be an easier way. Found a website with a cone template maker and just plugged in the numbers from the Vortex website. Saved me from any trial and error. I scaled it down and printed it out on a smaller sheet to make sure it worked.

I'll have to wait for the end of the day when the office thins out to print full size. I've been here for an hour and a half and haven't really done much yet. Should probably start doing some actual work.

View attachment 524344
Ok I have to admit that is funny in a dry way..... The engineer runs off to do calculations and designs a template.... Only have a pre-built template maker online...... We just got a new 36 inch plotter for the office that needs a couple test prints I think...... Just be sure to over cut for your overlap where you bolt or weld.

Last edited:
Ok I have to admit that is funny in a dry way..... The engineer runs of to do calculations and designs a template.... Only have a pre-built template maker online...... We just got a new 36 inch plotter for the office that needs a couple test prints it think...... Just be sure to over cut for your overlap where you bolt or weld.
Its kind of fitting, really.

My job requires me to do a little bit of engineering from time to time, even though I'm nowhere near qualified. With some help from the internet, I'm usually able to BS my way through the basic stuff. I always tell people I'm a student at YIT, the Youtube Institute of Technology.

• Haha
Reactions: civilsmoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky