Homemade Smoked Butter

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nicely done and the compound flavorings sound good. I've had to make Butter a couple of times when Whipping Cream went too far, Ooops. I added salt for flavor and it's a preservative.
A twist that has intrigued me is seeing Fermented Butter on cooking shows. The Cream is left exposed to air at room temp, until is sours and thickens naturally. I think I would want more control over the invading bacteria. 4 Tablespoons Cultured Buttermilk per Quart of Cream, rested 12 to 18 hours at room temp, makes a nicely tangy, thickened cream, aka Creme Fraiche. I'm thinking this would make for an interesting twist on regular butter...JJ

Reactions: kilo charlie
Nicely done and the compound flavorings sound good. I've had to make Butter a couple of times when Whipping Cream went too far, Ooops. I added salt for flavor and it's a preservative.
A twist that has intrigued me is seeing Fermented Butter on cooking shows. The Cream is left exposed to air at room temp, until is sours and thickens naturally. I think I would want more control over the invading bacteria. 4 Tablespoons Cultured Buttermilk per Quart of Cream, rested 12 to 18 hours at room temp, makes a nicely tangy, thickened cream, aka Creme Fraiche. I'm thinking this would make for an interesting twist on regular butter...JJ

Thank you!

Looking forward to seeing you do this and what crazy dish you use it in!

Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky