Homemade Smoked Butter

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kilo charlie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 25, 2017
Iowa
First I posted this in cheese making as there is not a real place to post about making homemade butter. If Admin feels it need to go in a better spot please move it.

Homemade Smoked Butter

Ingredients:
Heavy Whipping Cream (or Cream)
Salt (Optional) or Smoked Salt (Still Optional)

Since anyone can take a stick of store bought butter and cold smoke it I wanted to try something different.

I started my first attempt with a quart of heavy whipping cream sourced from the local grocery store.

20210710_201758.jpg

I put the heavy whipping cream on a glass baking dish. Do NOT let your wife see you do this! (Don't worry.. the smoke comes off the glass quite easily with dish soap).

Into the smoker the cream went for 90 minutes at 175F. This keeps it under the boiling point of 212F.

20210709_155339.jpg

Every 20 minutes I stirred the cream to break the surface tension and allow it to collect more smoke throughout.

After 90 minutes pull it out of the smoker and let it cool down to room temp before pouring into a quart mason jar.

20210709_163421.jpg

I split mine in two batches. So I poured two cups into 1 mason jar and the other two cups into a second mason jar. These both went unto the refrigerator for 90 minutes to cool while I was working on other experiments.

I pulled out the Kitchen Aid mixer and put the stainless steel bowl in the freezer for 10 minutes to get it cold.

20210709_183127.jpg

I poured in the first 2 cups of smoked cream and using the wire whisk attachment, I started whipping the cream at speed 7. My mixer has 10 speeds for reference.

20210709_183157.jpg

You can see it starting to thicken up.

20210709_183322.jpg

The first time it took me around 25 minutes for it to get from whipped cream to where the solids separated from the liquids.

20210709_190257.jpg

At this point I had a bowl of ice water ready and put the solids in a cheesecloth and squeezed out most of the remaining butter milk. Then rinsed the cheesecloth filled with the butter in the cold water to rinse off any remaining buttermilk.

20210709_190542.jpg

I then added 1/4 teaspoon of smoked Kosher salt and mixed the butter together.

20210709_190656.jpg

I then formed it into a log shape and put in the freezer to solidify.

20210709_191019.jpg

I used the first bit of butter to finish off a smoked reverse seared Tomahawk Steak that I recently posted about.

20210709_194531.jpg

PART TWO:

Since I now know I can make butter, it's time to play with it.

For this round, I am using the remaining two cups of smoked heavy whipping cream and two cups of cream for two batches of Compound Butter.

20210710_201741.jpg

This time I repeated putting the mixer bowl in the freezer for 10 minutes but I started the mixer on speed 8.

Batch #2 is Heavy Whipping Cream. This took 20 minutes to come together.

20210710_192312.jpg

A Chipotle Pepper was diced along with 1/4 teaspoon of smoked Kosher Salt and 2 Tablespoons of Lime Juice was added.

20210710_185350.jpg

The butter was them mixed by hand and formed into .ore of a butter stick shape. Wrapped in wax paper then into the freezer to set.

20210710_192804.jpg

Batch #3 is Cream from glass bottle.

This batch took 15 minutes to separate at Speed 8 on the mixer.

This time, after the ice water rinse, I put the butter back into the mixer and added 2 tablespoons of Lime juice, 1/4 teaspoon of smoked Kosher Salt and 1/2 of a Jalapeño that was minced.

20210710_185338.jpg

After running it in the mixer for 15 seconds or so.

20210710_200944.jpg

Way better distribution! Again shaped into a butter stick shape and wrapped in wax paper for a trip to the freezer.

20210710_201109.jpg

After being in the freezer to set, I pulled out both sticks and wrapped them in fresh wax paper and the Lime Juice had made the original wax paper soggy.

20210710_204616.jpg

20210710_201220.jpg

Conclusion:

Homemade Smoked Butter is fantastic and the flavor combinations are endless! You do NOT have to add the salt to the butter. It will be perfectly fine without it.

Should be kept in refrigerator and used within a week or so. It can be kept in the freezer for 3 months.

The higher quality Cream is preferred but is more costly AND I had to pay a $2 deposit on each of the bottles I bought!

This is not a new thing. Clearly butter has been made for a LONG time.. I recall seeing butter churners as a kid and I've heard stories of people shaking mason jars of cream until it separates but this is by far the fastest way I can see at this point!

Thanks for making it this far!

For entertainment I recorded Batch #3 so that you can see how it goes from whipped cream to magically separated solids and liquids. The video is at 2 Times speed to shorten the time down to about 1 minute 23 seconds.

Last edited:
Thanks Charlie . I've watched videos of the mason jar method , and my son said he did it in chemistry class . Been wanting to try it for awhile now . Stand mixer sounds like a good method .

Reactions: kilo charlie
I like it...

Thank you!

Thanks Charlie . I've watched videos of the mason jar method , and my son said he did it in chemistry class . Been wanting to try it for awhile now . Stand mixer sounds like a good method .

I don't know how long other methods take but 15 minutes is totally acceptable to me. It doesn't have to be smoked but it's definitely worth it.

Nice Job, Charlie!!
And Great Step by Step !!
Like.

Bear

Thanks Bear!

Wow. Great tutorial.

Thank you!

Very interesting. Great job Charlie. I really enjoyed this post and the tomahawk post also. Like, big time!

Reactions: kilo charlie
Very cool! I do remember making butter as kid from the skimmed cream from the Jersey I hand milked every am at 5:30....thanks for the rekindled memory!!!!lol

Thank you and you're welcome.

Luckily I never had to do that as a kid and as an adult I have technology and machinery on my side! Haha

Reactions: civilsmoker
chopsaw chopsaw - hopefully you get to make your butter soon! It'll be great for the flat top - can't wait to see what "compounds" you come up with too!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky