Homemade Scalloped Potatoes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
6-8 large Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8" slices (I used my PL8 mandoline slicer).
1lb bacon, cooked crisp
2-3T bacon grease
3c heavy cream
3c whole milk
6c shredded cheese, I like a mix of Gruyere and Gouda
1 large onion, chopped coarse
3-4 large cloves of garlic, crushed
3-4c of fried onions
Lawry's seasoned salt, to taste

Preheat oven to 375°.
Grease a casserole dish or dutch oven.

Prep the potatoes, peel and slice 1/8" thick.
Cook bacon till crisp, reserve the grease.
Saute the onions in bacon grease till opaque.
In a large pot add in the garlic, cream and milk, bring to a fast simmer, add potatoes and bring to a boil and then simmer for 6-8 minutes.

In a deep casserole dish or dutch oven layer half the potatoes, a dusting of seasoning, half the onions and bacon and a third of the cheese.
Do the same with the rest of the potatoes, onions, bacon and a third of the cheese.
Top with the fried onions and rest of the cheese.

Bake uncovered until bubbling throughout, then broil on high to brown the top.
Let cool a bit before serving.

Last edited:

6 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8" slices (Love my PL8 Mandoline slicer)
2 sticks butter
4C +/- milk
1C +/- flour
4C shredded cheese
1 large onion, chopped coarse
1C+ crumbled bacon
2T garlic, minced
Lawry's seasoned salt to taste

Preheat oven to 425°
Prep the potatoes, parboil until barely tender, set aside
In a large sauce pan melt the butter, add flour to make a roux
Add the cheese and 2C of milk to the roux and melt the cheese into it, add milk as needed to attain the desired sauce consistency (think tomato sauce)
Over med-high heat saute the onions, bacon and garlic till onions are just soft

In a large casserole dish spread a thin layer of cheese sauce, then half the potatoes as a single layer
Spread onion/bacon evenly over this layer, season with seasoned salt
Spread the rest of the potatoes and cover evenly with remaining cheese sauce
Bake till at 425° till top is browned
Serves 10-12

s5BcKKc.jpg
Wow!! It’s a small world we had the same meal tonight only I use my last tube of Venison Summer Sausage and cooked it on the pellet grill. It was good just like yours looks awesome.
D95EEB9D-8625-482A-A5E0-13D1DA8D74D2.jpeg

Wow!! It’s a small world we had the same meal tonight only I use my last tube of Venison Summer Sausage and cooked it on the pellet grill. It was good just like yours looks awesome.
View attachment 371223
I didn't cook this the other night, I've been pulling side dish recipes out of my dinner threads and putting them in here.
Easier to find that way as I sometimes have 2-3 recipes in one thread.

This gets made about once a month or so in our house.
It works fine in the smoker if you can hold 300'+.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky