homemade bratwurst

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

boatnut

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
Ostrander/Marblehead, Ohio
I thawed a 2 pack of boston butt's and decided to make some sausage. I made up 5 lbs of breakfast sausage and then decided to make up 8 lbs of bratwurst. I took several recipe's and "fused " them together to come up with this. I cut back on the salt which is reflected in the recipe. I thought they were really good. the extra fat made them extra delicious! Family enjoyed them , as did I. As Homer Simpson says, "ah , pork!, the magic animal! "  
becky.gif

Boatnut’s Brat’s

6lb pork butt
1 lb pork back fat
1 lb streaky bacon
3 ½ tbl kosher salt
1 TB + 1 tsp white pepper
2 ½ tsp ground ginger
2 ½ tsp ground nutmeg
1 TB ground coriander
1 ½ TB ground mustard
1 TB marjoram
1 ½ TB crushed caraway seed

3 eggs
1 ½ cups heavy cream.

Grind meat thru 1/8” plate or dye. Whisk together cream and eggs then whisk in all spices. Pour mixture over meat and knead and mix well till mixture becomes “sticky”. Stuff into hog casings.

Those are great looking Brats you have there...

Thanks for posting the recipe you used, I copied it for later use...

Great lookin sausage - I take it you grilled these instead of smoking?   I too copied the recipe
points.gif

Nice looking sausage you posted there. What kind of equiptment did you use and fill out your profile so we can see where your from and see who your neighbors are................

that is some great looking sausage there bud.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
 thanks for the recipie too..... have you made this before? just wondering if this is a keeper sausage for the freezer... not sure with the cream??? either way, thanks for sharing the recipie!  that backfat really makes it juicy dont it, i have started using backfat only in my bologna and wieners i make using venison and lean pork.

Last edited:
My next sausage project is going to be bratwurst.  Your recipe sounds like a winner.

Nice looking sausage you posted there. What kind of equiptment did you use and fill out your profile so we can see where your from and see who your neighbors are................
Sorry about the profile.  I filled it out.  Not sure how to list equipment in signature.    I have a 1/2 hp Cabela's commercial grinder and 5 lb "grizzly" vertical stuffer.

I think they will freeze fine even with the cream.   I'll find out tonight as plan to thaw a few and cook up for some friends.

mike

Mike,

Great looking brats. Thanks for the post complete with recipe. I just got a brand new grinder and I'm looking for a project. This may be the one.

very well done..im a sausage freak/butcher/chef and this is real..thanx ive forwarded to my german chef friend his web is , [email protected]  is is awsesome for german and all foods check this.

Chef Dave does he have a website or just the email link?

Nice looking brats Boatnut, I just tried my hand at em a few weeks ago but used a pre packaged season ( I wanted to free lance it but got out voted by the untrusting people in my family ).

Chef Dave does he have a website or just the email link?

Nice looking brats Boatnut, I just tried my hand at em a few weeks ago but used a pre packaged season ( I wanted to free lance it but got out voted by the untrusting people in my family ).
I just typed in "kitchenproject.com" into google and found the website.

Interesting recipe and good sausages. I have a lb of salt pork would that be as good as the fat back? Or about the same? Just thawed a butt last night to grind for brats.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky