Home Theater Enthusiasts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
Are there any other Home Theater Enthusiasts here. I been into audio video most my life. I was always the guy that provided music whether it from the vehicle or boat. Always had a decent AVR set up at home. This last year score some great used and new deals. I really got into fine tuning recently and have spent many hours getting calibrated and now just blowing me away. I am now using Dirac Live and REW to calibrate speakers which was a real learning experience. I got a good deal on some new sub's and than decided to work my older ones back in using a MiniDsp. Man that was tough getting four subs to work together. My current set up is a Pioneer 305, Ultra Prime Center, Paradigm Studio 100's for mains and Mini Monitors for surrounds and backs. Two RSL Speedwoofer 10S MkII subs stacked and Polk PSW505 and Acoustech PL-200 sub. Using a Sony 75" for monitor. Watched my Pink Floyd Pulse the other day and Wow! Looking for movies that have great sound tracks now.

Since I'm not sure of half what you said I must not be lol! But along for the ride in what responses you get. Might learn something!

Ryan

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Love home theater as well. I just retired my old Onkyo system, 100 Watt amp on each speaker, Infinity speakers, right and left channels had powered subs as well as the main. My new system is Yamaha with Klipsch speakers. I kept my old infinity sub - it is behind the wall.

To answer your question...
  • The original "Top Gun" has a great sound-track...starts out with jets taking off and Kenny Loggins - Danger Zone
  • Forrest Gump has a good sound track as well
  • You have to appreciate the Helicopters in Apocalypse Now and also in Platoon

IMG_9712.jpg

Are there any other Home Theater Enthusiasts here. I been into audio video most my life. I was always the guy that provided music whether it from the vehicle or boat. Always had a decent AVR set up at home. This last year score some great used and new deals. I really got into fine tuning recently and have spent many hours getting calibrated and now just blowing me away. I am now using Dirac Live and REW to calibrate speakers which was a real learning experience. I got a good deal on some new sub's and than decided to work my older ones back in using a MiniDsp. Man that was tough getting four subs to work together. My current set up is a Pioneer 305, Ultra Prime Center, Paradigm Studio 100's for mains and Mini Monitors for surrounds and backs. Two RSL Speedwoofer 10S MkII subs stacked and Polk PSW505 and Acoustech PL-200 sub. Using a Sony 75" for monitor. Watched my Pink Floyd Pulse the other day and Wow! Looking for movies that have great sound tracks now.
You must not spend very much time here on SMF if you still have money for that equipment. My bank called the other day wondering why a few people (you know who you are) had access to my checking account. HA!

We are big on HT. We had a Yamaha and Klipsch speakers set up but the Yamaha got retired as it wouldn’t handle 4K decoding we also let the surrounds stay with the old house.

We now have an Onkyo 4K receiver with Klipsch box center (500C) front (black label 200s) and reference (RM-41s) with a pair of ceiling ATMOS (cs-16s)we have a 12” Klipsch floor firing woofer with a second Yamaha front firing woofer….it’s 5.2.2 ATMOS. It is matched with a LG 86 UHD 4K. The new Dune was crazy picture and sound.

Fortunately the room is in the basement or I’m sure we would get noise complaints…..

We recently watched both Top Guns on it. Great sound…. The first one has a good sound!

Last edited:
civilsmoker civilsmoker I passed on the Atmos as the HT was not located in a dedicated viewing room. This is the only thing that I have been having second thoughts about…

Still very happy with the sound quality that I have. Will probably think of your post every time it storms or rains or something flys overhead on screen now 😂

We are big on HT. We had a Yamaha and Klipsch speakers set up but the Yamaha got retired as it wouldn’t handle 4K decoding we also let the surrounds stay with the old house.

We now have an Onkyo 4K receiver with Klipsch box center (500C) front (black label 200s) and reference (RM-41s) with a pair of ceiling ATMOS (cs-16s)we have a 12” Klipsch floor firing woofer with a second Yamaha front firing woofer….it’s 5.2.2 ATMOS. It is matched with a LG 86 UHD 4K. The new Dune was crazy picture and sound.

Fortunately the room is in the basement of I’m sure we would get noise complaints…..

We recently watched both Top Guns on it. Great sound…. The first one has a good sound!
What do you think of that ATMOS setup? I kept hearing that Dune was boring but I may give it a go today.

My room really sucks for subs. That why I used REW to align them. I had huge nulls that took a lot of time and effort to overcome.

One of my favorite movies to test out a home theater system is from the movie Heat (1995) with Al Pacino and Robert De Niro - there's a shoot out scene in the latter half of the movie that a good surround sound will have you ducking as you think the bullets are whizzing by your head!

What do you think of that ATMOS setup? I kept hearing that Dune was boring but I may give it a go today.

My room really sucks for subs. That why I used REW to align them. I had huge nulls that took a lot of time and effort to overcome.
We have a smaller dedicated room for HT so it really helps. We ran 6.1 in our other house and I like the ATMOS set up much better. It makes the surround more even and uniform…. The overhead sound brings you into the moment for sure! I also like the second woofer as it seems make things smoother….

Dune isn’t a fast paced movie but it is a very good movie and perfect for the HT experience in 4K!

civilsmoker civilsmoker I passed on the Atmos as the HT was not located in a dedicated viewing room. This is the only thing that I have been having second thoughts about…

Still very happy with the sound quality that I have. Will probably think of your post every time it storms or rains or something flys overhead on screen now 😂
Lol. Not every movies has the channel but it is a better “6th” channel because more movies are going that way and you can code it for the 6th if you want.

You have a sweet looking setup! That in wall woofer is cool!

Reactions: uncle eddie
I have a nice Atmos setup using walnut burl Halo 3 speakers for the 5.1 setup, and Monitor Audio C280-IDCs for the ceiling Atmos speakers. If you're ever looking for absolutely fantastic speakers at a great price, Tyler is the man. I discovered these in mastering studios, and you cannot beat his bang for buck. https://tyleracoustics.com/collections/frontpage

Here's one of the Halo 3s.
1672508815901.png

One of my favorite movies to test out a home theater system is from the movie Heat (1995) with Al Pacino and Robert De Niro - there's a shoot out scene in the latter half of the movie that a good surround sound will have you ducking as you think the bullets are whizzing by your head!
I used to have a decent surround system, and that shootout scene would blow my socks off. Unfortunately, I have banned myself from watching anything with De Niro. I can't stand that dude anymore.

My old 3 channel rig which I still have all safely packed away consists of:
Sony STR-DA7100ES amp (silver)
Sony DVP-S9100ES SACD (silver)
Sony BDP-S5000ES Blu-Ray ( black; it was a late addition and stood out like a sore thumb in the rack too)
Def Tech BP7001sc mains (bi-wired, of course)
Def Tech C/L/R 3000 center
Monster HTS 3600 MKII PowerCenter (surge protection and power filtering)

When I was putting the rig together, I was more focused on music rather than HT.
The set up handled both equally well.
Unfortunately, it is obsolete by today's A/V standards.
Nowdays, I just make due with a pair of Echo Plus 2nd Gens and an Echo sub. :emoji_laughing:
Oh, I really shouldn't be recommending any movies either since I fell asleep during Top Gun Maverick recently. :emoji_disappointed:

I love the stuff , but really know nothing about any of it . I'm still using a JVC RX-554V That I bought back in the 80's or 90's . Recently added some Klipsch speakers . Nothing to crazy . A C-200 and a pair of B-200's . I had a pair of old Optimus Pro-220 speakers that I just re-foamed . Also from the late 80's . I have the B-200 and the Optimus on the front and a pair of JVC 6" 2 ways on the rear . I have a 10 " front firing Optimus sub , but it rattles to much so it's not hooked up .
It sounds good to me . I know it's nothing like you guys are talking about , but it will have you ducking out of the way too .

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky