Holy Pork Shoulder, Batman!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

viciousgolden

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 9, 2013
Las Vegas
This is the story of a man, his dog, and the 14 hour journey to pulled pork perfection.  Also, it was the trial run for my new AMZN Pellet Smoker.

It all started with a 6.5# boneless shoulder, fresh from my butcher at Branded Meats, in Henderson, NV.  Got it home on Wednesday and got it all rubbed up and in the fridge Thursday night.

Saturday Morning, 1AM, I roll out of bed cursing as I trip over baby toys, make a cup of coffee, and fire up 'ole Semla to get her to 225 and pull my pork out of the fridge.

Next, I load up my new AMZN Pellet Smoker with a pound of AMZN pellets, half Pecan and half Apple and take my mini torch to it.

Pellets burning, coffee mug empty, the pellet smoker, and the pork go in at 2AM.  

Locked and loaded, I attempt to take a nap.  Spritzing every hour or two to keep her moist.  After 7.5 hours of smoking, the AMZN burns out and the pork is looking awesome.

Let it finish out with no additional smoke and pulled the pork out about 4PM, at 192 IT.  Pulled, sauced, sandwiched, and ate.

It came out amazing.  Flavor and texture was spot on.  The AMZNPS is the best investment I've made so far for my smoking.  Thanks again to Todd for all his help and his amazing products.  Looking forward to sending him tons of money in the future.  

Happy Smoking Everyone, and May The Pork Be With You!

Reactions: disco
Great story! I laughed ,I cried , I wiped drool off my chin....what more could a bbq fan ask for? Seriously , great looking cook , brother. And the box Mac n cheese is the perfect complement. Seriously. :biggrin:

I know what you mean about the AMNPS. It really improved my smoking experience. However, from the looks of that pork, you already do a good Q!

Disco

Thanks guys.  I'm glad I was able to produce something worthy of posting.  I love these forums.  The advice and support I get from here is priceless.  

Nice looking piggy there. And I can't knock the blue box mac & cheese as my GF loves it...go figure. I did notice the Famous Daves Rub in the background though. My only suggestion to really 'up your game' would be to come up with your signature rub. It's perfectly legit to 'steal' a base rub off of here and then tweak it to make your own....LOL. Seriously though, nice job and happy you had a successful smoke.....Willie

Wait? You're supposed to clean the drip pan? You mean after every smoke?
Don't let them fool you. You should never clean that thing.
laugh1.gif

Nice Q there, although I'm surprised that you only got 7.5 hours of smoke with a full load of pellets. Last time I used mine with a full load, I got 12+ hours of smoke. Maybe different pellets, etc.

I love all the feedback. thanks so much.

Chef Willie:  I will do my own rub and sauce eventually.  I just want to get my technique reliable first.

Husker:  I normally use foil.  Not sure why I didn't this time.  I wish I did though.  lol

Chew:  I was a little surprised as well about the 7.5 hours.  I was using Todd's pellets.  I read the directions that came with it and it said to expect 2 to 3 hours per row when smoking at 225 or higher, which would be 6 to 9 hours of burn time, so I guess it was right on.

Thanks again for the feedback.  It helps me get better

Vicious Golden.  First of all... You have a NICE butt!  I need a little advice on the AMZN pellet basket.  I followed your lead and put on my pork butt last night about 9.  Unfortunately, when I woke up this morning to check it, to my horror, the pellets went out and I had NO SMOKE during the entire night!!! I just wanted to cry! I have the same kind of smoker you do. How did you keep the AMZN smoke from going out? I used pellets just like you did. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you in advance.....Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky