• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Holiday Bread French Toast

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
My mom made the best French Toast.... Just like yours... Custard soaked through the bread.. Some don't like it that way.. Too bad...

xray

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 11, 2015
Nice french toast, I could go for some now with a nice side of scrapple to balance out that sweetness.

I always thought everyone made French toast during a snowstorm...that’s why the eggs, bread and milk fly off the shelves.

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 25, 2014
I use Babka ,Panettone to make french toast or bread pudding
Richie

mdboatbum

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 22, 2011
Wow! That looks really delicious!

We usually use challah bread, but that Christmas bread looks even better! Thanks for sharing.

chilerelleno

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2016
Hmmm... Warm fuzzy thoughts ofFrencu Toast and Monte Cristo Sammie's.
Maybe Christmas morning?

ab canuck

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 20, 2016
That is pretty darned good looking, I am thinking Xmas morning for that.... Like for sure.

zwiller

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 16, 2016
LIKE. Totally stealing making the custard the night before. Great idea!

We buy some stollen for it this time of year, preferably the non-iced kind. We like ours light/quick dunk. The key to good french toast is the bread. Never use regular sandwich. Texas toast at minimum. Slightly stale italian/french loaf is perfect. Once you do it right, you will do it often and that includes "breakfast for dinner".

We do monkey bread on Christmas morning. Put it together night before and pop in the oven first thing. Easy and awesome. House will smell incredible too.

ab canuck

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 20, 2016
LIKE.
We do monkey bread on Christmas morning. Put it together night before and pop in the oven first thing. Easy and awesome. House will smell incredible too.
Hey Sam, What is your version of monkey bread, I had it once yrs ago but not since. Just curious.

zwiller

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 16, 2016
Wife makes it and does not share the actual recipe but it is very typical. We just tweaked it over the years. Main thing we do is use frozen dough balls for rolls instead of canned so just like with french toast the key is the bread. Tastes totally pro. Switched walnuts for pecans. No raisins or other stuff here but add em if you want. Day before Crisco your bundt, mix up the sauce in a bowl, and roll the frozen balls around in it and place in bundt, add leftover sauce, and park in fridge until morning. It will rise a bit and that's what you want. Christmas am bake, rip gifts, when done, carefully flip onto a platter while still warm and the sauce will fall over it.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012
What a great seasonal breakfast! Big Like!

ab canuck

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 20, 2016
That sounds great... My list is never going to get any shorter....

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.