Hoar-able Weather!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tbern

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 27, 2015
Southwest Minnesota
just a few pics of the Hoar Frost we have been getting. lots of fog, freezing fog/drizzle, or freezing rain also. it's getting old in a hurry. going back into the deep freeze starting this Saturday, with daytime temps around 0* or not above 0* for a week or so. first pic is of my Davis weather station.

IMG_20230122_102142394_HDR.jpg IMG_3957 (3).JPG IMG_3957 (3).JPG

I'll take our 5" of wet snow any day. I hate freezing rain

Chris

Reactions: tbern
My favorite weather phenomenon. Just learned the word a couple years ago.

It does make for some nice pictures but I'm starting to dislike it more and more as I age. Gonna have to get the hand warmers installed on the ATV before the weekend or its going to be some brisk rides for ice fishing attempts.

Reactions: tbern
Love the hoar frost. I spent a winter in Fairbanks, AK. The trees look like that nearly all winter long due to the temp inversion and the city getting nearly no wind in the winter.

It will also scare the crap out of you in the mountains though as it is one of the leading contributors to prime avalanche conditions. Nothing like skinning up the side of a mountain and the whole hillside settles a couple inches as a hoar frost layer colapses.

I'm thinking you're lucky...I saw sunlight in your pics! Saw the sun here briefly this morning then back to gray and sullen looking. Dense fog for last 3 or 4 days and about 8 inches of heavy wet snow before that. If I was younger, great sledding weather...and have plenty of snow piles! But will agree, makes for pretty pics!

Ryan

I'll take our 5" of wet snow any day. I hate freezing rain

Chris
yes agree! ice and the frost caused an power outage for us Mon-Tue from it dropping off the lines and the lines snapping together. bad line surges also!

I'm thinking you're lucky...I saw sunlight in your pics! Saw the sun here briefly this morning then back to gray and sullen looking. Dense fog for last 3 or 4 days and about 8 inches of heavy wet snow before that. If I was younger, great sledding weather...and have plenty of snow piles! But will agree, makes for pretty pics!

Ryan
yes it was nice to see the old sun!! so, so tired of the fog and freezing fog/drizzle! just seems to never end this winter.

Love the hoar frost. I spent a winter in Fairbanks, AK. The trees look like that nearly all winter long due to the temp inversion and the city getting nearly no wind in the winter.

It will also scare the crap out of you in the mountains though as it is one of the leading contributors to prime avalanche conditions. Nothing like skinning up the side of a mountain and the whole hillside settles a couple inches as a hoar frost layer colapses.
yes, very pretty! but the combination of freezing precip and all that frost is doing a number on all the trees and powerlines. lots of limbs and branches down and some power outages

Pretty pictures, but lousy weather.
Crazy weather this winter. It's sitting right about melting here, and all us log trucks are spinning out on the slightest incline.
Gary
agree with the lousy weather! hoping for a early spring, but not counting on one

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky