Hillbilly Brisket Meatloaf W/ Bourbon Glaze (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Please don't ask where the "Hillbilly" part came from. I honestly don't know but it popped into my head and just sort of stuck there. Maybe from the bourbon?? So I have this interesting beef bacon project going that was started with a whole packer brisket. I trimmed it down to approximate proportions of a pork belly and had right at 5 pounds of good meat left after trimming. Had the grinder out to do some sausage so went ahead and ground the brisket also and decided to take 2 pounds and make a meatloaf. I've made a few but have never been a huge fan of "traditional" style with either ketchup or BBQ sauce as a glaze. I know a lot of folks love them that way but I'm just not a big fan of it. Thought I'd go a different direction all together.

Here is the brisket in a bowl with chopped celery & onions, crushed red pepper, black pepper, coriander, granular beef bouillon, one egg lightly beaten, and some bread crumbs
002.jpg

Got some amazing rub in a gift exchange with our good friend Warren ( HalfSmoked HalfSmoked ) and thought I'd give it a try. This stuff was really tasty!!
004.jpg

Formed and seasoned up.....
005.jpg

....then onto the Weber running hardwood briquettes and mesquite
006.jpg

Tracy's favorite veggie side dish: asparagus in butter, pecans, and cranberries. Also made some garlic mashed potatoes and gravy. Been through those items a few times so didn't bother with pics
007.jpg

When it hit the 120 mark I applied the bourbon glaze
009.jpg

Asparagus on the grill and about done
011.jpg

Meatloaf off the grill and getting happy. Applied another light coat of the glaze
012.jpg

Sliced. Wow..moist, tender, juicy and a really nice smoke ring
013.jpg

Another one to see the smoke ring better. I've never gotten one like that on a meatloaf before.
014.jpg

Time to eat!!
016.jpg

So I went a bit out of bounds on this but it was a very good effort. Nice smoke flavor but not overly strong, a good balance of flavors from the seasonings, and a nice subtle hint of the bourbon that really melded well with the mesquite. I got a chat notification from our good friend smokin peachey smokin peachey a couple days ago asking how I did the bourbon glaze. It was actually very simple. I took a small amount of the gravy, put it in a different pan along with a nice shot of bourbon, and simmered on low till it reduced by about 1/3. That intensified the flavors a lot and brought out the notes of the bourbon. All in all, I'd call this one a success. Gratefully Tracy thought so also and noted it being my best effort to date with meatloaf. I also got the green light to make it again :emoji_wink:

All done folks. Have a great day and we will see you on the next one....

Robert

Very impressive looking meatloaf! I have not seen a smoke ring like that on anything ground. Maybe because its ground brisket combined with the mesquite? Either way awesome looking grub here!

3Dut.gif

This is me showing up at your house for meatloaf. "I didn't come to impose but I heard there was brisket". Looks awesome man. I am normally not a huge traditional meat loaf guy either but I would be all over that and that glaze sounds amazing. Nice job man!

That all looks top notch Robert, very nice! Gonna have to give that meatloaf and glaze a try!

That meatloaf looks awesome and the bourbon glaze sounds pretty good on it too!

Nice smoke ring, I’ll take that small piece in the front, the ends are my favorite part when smoking one!

Like!!

You just cant beat a good meatloaf! I usually eat the leftovers on a sandwich but that meatloaf right there wouldnt make it back to the fridge!! Lol !! Nice work Robert! And dang nice smoke ring too!!

Nicely Done Robert! I'm not a fan of traditional meatloaf either....I think you just talked me into giving this a go. I'll cook it up for the guinea pigs at the firehouse and see how it goes!!! LOL!!

Wow!!! That looks incredible. Great cook. I am 3 days into a 4 day fast but you just ended it. I have some of Al's left over frozen. Gonna have to pull out for dinner tonight. You got me hungry for meatloaf.

Last edited:
Please don't ask where the "Hillbilly" part came from. I honestly don't know but it popped into my head and just sort of stuck there. Maybe from the bourbon?? So I have this interesting beef bacon project going that was started with a whole packer brisket. I trimmed it down to approximate proportions of a pork belly and had right at 5 pounds of good meat left after trimming. Had the grinder out to do some sausage so went ahead and ground the brisket also and decided to take 2 pounds and make a meatloaf. I've made a few but have never been a huge fan of "traditional" style with either ketchup or BBQ sauce as a glaze. I know a lot of folks love them that way but I'm just not a big fan of it. Thought I'd go a different direction all together.

Here is the brisket in a bowl with chopped celery & onions, crushed red pepper, black pepper, coriander, granular beef bouillon, one egg lightly beaten, and some bread crumbs
View attachment 479000

Got some amazing rub in a gift exchange with our good friend Warren ( HalfSmoked HalfSmoked ) and thought I'd give it a try. This stuff was really tasty!!
View attachment 479001

Formed and seasoned up.....
View attachment 479002

....then onto the Weber running hardwood briquettes and mesquite
View attachment 479003

Tracy's favorite veggie side dish: asparagus in butter, pecans, and cranberries. Also made some garlic mashed potatoes and gravy. Been through those items a few times so didn't bother with pics
View attachment 479004

When it hit the 120 mark I applied the bourbon glaze
View attachment 479005

Asparagus on the grill and about done
View attachment 479006

Meatloaf off the grill and getting happy. Applied another light coat of the glaze
View attachment 479007

Sliced. Wow..moist, tender, juicy and a really nice smoke ring
View attachment 479008

Another one to see the smoke ring better. I've never gotten one like that on a meatloaf before.
View attachment 479009

Time to eat!!
View attachment 479010

So I went a bit out of bounds on this but it was a very good effort. Nice smoke flavor but not overly strong, a good balance of flavors from the seasonings, and a nice subtle hint of the bourbon that really melded well with the mesquite. I got a chat notification from our good friend smokin peachey smokin peachey a couple days ago asking how I did the bourbon glaze. It was actually very simple. I took a small amount of the gravy, put it in a different pan along with a nice shot of bourbon, and simmered on low till it reduced by about 1/3. That intensified the flavors a lot and brought out the notes of the bourbon. All in all, I'd call this one a success. Gratefully Tracy thought so also and noted it being my best effort to date with meatloaf. I also got the green light to make it again :emoji_wink:

All done folks. Have a great day and we will see you on the next one....

Robert
"Iffen" that don't make your mouth water......nutin will ! Thank for the pctures! Charlie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky