High Altitude BBQ

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MtnGoat

Original poster
Aug 2, 2021
I live at 8800’ altitude and am wondering if it takes a longer or shorter time to reach the desired IT. The boiling point of water here is 196F. My observation over the years is that it takes longer but I can’t quantify it.

Thanks

I live at 8800’ altitude and am wondering if it takes a longer or shorter time to reach the desired IT. The boiling point of water here is 196F. My observation over the years is that it takes longer but I can’t quantify it.

Thanks
Short answer, yes it takes a bit longer. I’m at 6450’ elev. and yes cook times have to be adjusted A bit depending on your cooking method. Deep fry, is same as the rest of the world, boiling meat is longer, but if you bbq to IT of around 160*, then wrap the meat, time is a bit longer, but still very close.

I'm at 5400' and water boils at 203° at my house. As altitude increases, atmospheric pressure decreases, and so does the boiling point of water. This means an increase in cooking time is needed. It's tempting to use higher pit temps, but you run the risk of drying out some things. At higher altitudes there is less oxygen also, and so it takes more time to get the fire up to temp. It is a little learning curve cooking at higher altitude.

The bigger meats need more time and for me, wrapping helps for tendering up and moisture. Also for me.... foil works much better than paper. An injection of some sorts is practically a must for many of my barbecue meats. When some people can easily get a brisket or plate ribs well over 200° , it's harder for me to. For grilling, there is not much difference, but I do spray to keep my meats moist.

I'm currently in the testing stages of a SnS charcoal basket that has a removable 1-Quart water reservoir next to the coals. Even with low pit temps the boiling action does keep the meats moister. Here are a couple of Coppa roasts and some lamb ribs. The reservoir is the 1.5" or so space between the ribs and the coals.
PaIGlao.jpg

If you don't own one, consider adding a pressure cooker to your arsenal of cooking equipment. They are super handy when you live at high altitudes. Traditional pressure cookers or pressure canner like I have will cook at temps up to 240°, and having rich broth is a bonus.

Thanks
Sounds like a market opportunity for the first person to develop a pressure smoker. :emoji_wink:

Sounds like a market opportunity for the first person to develop a pressure smoker. :emoji_wink:
There is some sort of device out there, I saw a brief about it on another cooking forum but I recall it seemed impractical.

I use my pressure canner for finishing pastrami, smoked pork neck, beef cheeks or making pork or chicken filling for various Mexican dishes.
ypppSOm.jpg

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Thanks all. I find that it takes about 24 hours to do a pork butt and ribs are near 7 hours. We do have an Instapot and need to add 35 - 40% to the cook times. We have been up here for 43 years and have most things figured out but still working on smoking.

Pressure smokers do exist. I don't know how well they work but the workmanship is excellent.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky